UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2015, 6:22 pm   #1
JulianKoster
Retired Dormant Member

Lightbulb Ericsson PA System - Help Me Identify Please

Dear All,

This is my very first post on this forum, a quick greeting from the Netherlands! I will immediately start off with a question. I have recently managed to save an old Public Announcement system from being thrown in the garbage. It was placed in an old school that was going to be demolished, I simply cut the wires and boxed it without looking for any manuals/technical sheets (if there were any to begin with...).

Now my question to all you tech-savvy masterminds is; does any of you recognize this Ericsson PA system so I can start finding out how to make it function again?

All I've found so far is that it is an Ericsson, with the number;

10539_4=3 9.66 on the bottom, could not figure out what it means exactly but maybe someone can shed some light on it?

Unfortunately the "phone" that was attached to it has been cut off, as well as the power cord, however the problems probably won't stop there.

I would highly appreciate any push in the right direction of finding out more about this awesome piece of technology!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_185726_HDR.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	112902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_185754_HDR.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	112903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_185809_HDR.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	112904   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_185823_HDR.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	112905  
Old 11th Sep 2015, 7:25 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ericsson PA System - Help Me Identify Please

It appears to be the school's branch telephone exchange (PABX). The cradle on the left would be for a telephone handset.
Old 11th Sep 2015, 8:33 pm   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

I don't think it is a PABX.

There's no dial, and the bottom right knob appears more like a volume control.

I think it's an intercom unit that had the ability to call each classroom, or all-call, and possibly switch each classroom to either a 'programme' or an 'announcement' bus. These were commonly used in the USA.

Basically a 70 or 100 volt line PA amp for announcements, and a second smaller amp used in reverse for intercom listening. 3 or 4 wires to each speaker and the speakers possibly had a relay in to switch them on/off to the audio bus.

Stromberg Carlson advert
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2150...age?ref=market

Modern Bogen equipment
https://www.bogen-paging.com/catalog-product-pi35a.aspx
Old 11th Sep 2015, 8:35 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

9-66 is probably Sept 66 date.

Unless there's an amplifier in there somwhere, it's unlikely to have any direct use in a PA system.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Sep 2015, 4:46 pm   #5
vosperd
Hexode

It could be the selector for a PA system with a remote amplifier.
When I moved into a modern school in 1956 we had a speaker and a slave clock in each classroom, I think that system was a Gents. I was convinced it was a 2-way system as the teachers had an uncanny knack of getting to the source of any disruption pretty quick.
Don m5aky
Old 17th Sep 2015, 1:29 pm   #6
JulianKoster
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your input; from what I know is that every classroom had it's own "phone" to communicate with the central system, with speakers being located around the school. Was able to retrieve a telephone unit but not a speaker.
Closed Thread