UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2020, 8:05 pm   #1
Jdk1956
Diode

Default 1969 Binatone Radio UK

Hi, In 1969 I was given an inexpensive Binatone radio for my birthday present. I am trying to remember what it was and to then try and find one. If you have any images / information about what was available in the UK at that time I would really appreciate your help. I am really hoping that a picture will jog my memory. Thank you.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 8:12 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: 1969 Binatone Radio UK

https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...nt=firefox-b-d or some variation of the search terms.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 12:00 am   #3
Jdk1956
Diode

Thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot see the radio. Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 11:28 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

My very first post to this forum was much the same as yours. I included a pencil sketch of the basic shape of the radio, and someone identified it immediately.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 12:44 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, a sketch, or any other info (size, band coverage...) on the radio would narrow it down. I bought a Binatone radio in about 1969, as inexpensive as they came - I think it was 39s. 6d., a touch under £2. Red plastic, pocket sized, MW only, model name "Playboy". Seems other models went under the same name, I hadn't seen the one I had for many a year, but have just found a photo identical except for colour:

https://jordaens.eu/wp-content/uploa...01-800x415.jpg

Paul
Old 25th Aug 2020, 8:47 pm   #6
Jdk1956
Diode

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what it was like. I am hoping that a photo will job my memory. I do believe it was LW and MW only. Not a small portable, more like 16-20cm long.... but beyond that I am unable to recall any details. Photos I have seen do not trigger any memories... I will keep looking... once again, thank you.
Old 25th Aug 2020, 9:11 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

How about something like this one a very typical Binatone of the period.

https://picclick.co.uk/VINTAGE-BINAT...664708736.html

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VINTAGE-BINATONE-CONCORD-RADIO-AMMW-LW-2-BAND-1960S-1970s-BOX-_57.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	214312  
Old 25th Aug 2020, 10:24 pm   #8
Jdk1956
Diode

Hi Mike, Thank you! I checked and the Binatone 727 shown is along the right lines - I think - but the red casing isn’t correct ... so perhaps another member of the family? ... perhaps a step in the right direction? I will keep looking... there may also be a Retailer catalogue from those times eg Woolworths?
Old 29th Aug 2020, 11:41 am   #9
AlanC
Hexode

I was given one of these for a present, at around that time or maybe a bit earlier:
https://picclick.co.uk/1965-Binatone...388663337.html

I don't remember it having the logo across the grill like the one in these images but the rest is the same. The telescopic aerial was for show and not actually connected to anything IIRC and the 9 transistors is a bit creative- it had the usual 7 transistors in actual active stages, and I think it had one connected as a diode as detector and another as bias stabiliser for the push pull output stage. It performed well enough and I used to listen under the bedcovers to Luxembourg and the pirate ships... Ultimately, like any radio that came into my possession it ended up donating parts to homebrew projects!
Old 12th Sep 2020, 7:17 am   #10
Jdk1956
Diode

Great memories! Thank you! I wish I had cherished and better understood those days...
Closed Thread