UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2011, 9:34 pm   #1
Jim_746
Pentode

Default Plug sockets

Got this socket below today from a relative who is having their front bedroom replastered ect., must have been mid to late 60s since it was last done. Its marked MK 5394 A.C. ONLY 13 AMP. 250 V. MADE IN ENGLAND. It took them ages to find a new plug with "made in England" on it as they wont use "foreign rubbish".

Who is still using old plug sockets in their house?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04042011124.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	49120   Click image for larger version

Name:	04042011125.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	49121  
Old 4th Apr 2011, 11:17 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Plug sockets

Nothing that old in the house, but I've got one of those on an extension lead I threw together 40 odd years ago. The TRS cable is getting a bit tired but it's still used in the garage occasionally.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Apr 2011, 11:24 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Wiring in this house is circa 1962, MK flush sockets and switches but as most were single sockets they are replaced with double s etc. although a few are left upstairs. two light switches remain, the rest are retro fitted tumbler ones from the 20s and 30s!
Old 5th Apr 2011, 1:23 am   #4
teetoon
Heptode

Hi, I can remember our house being re wired in the early 60s and we had these MK sockets upstairs. One in each bedroom and one on the landing. Downstairs had the twin MK with 4 screw fixing flushed in with metal boxes in the wall. Now the sad part, I have lived across the road from our old house for the past 16 years and when the guy re wired it in the 90s I kept the old sockets he removed, the light switches, immersion heater switch, even the old fuse boxes! I have many more in my collections of stuff others would throw away. I have a friend who used to work for the SWEB, when they did re wires he would save old sockets and switches. I was given boxes of these and over the years I cleaned them up in the sink with hot soapy water to get paint and dirt off. Then there's the adaptor collection! The 15 amp and 5 amp plug collection, and of course the rubber plug collection! Guess how long I've been single? Sorry I'm getting boring now!!

David.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 9:14 am   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Plug sockets

Hi,
I always used to love MK gear and had a lot of it. The plug to match that socket was, I think, list no. 646 Ivory. I used to accumulate them from flea markets. As a kid I was particularly attracted to their round pin "almost triangular" plugs as various grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc; lived in old houses wired for them, so I suppose it's a nostalgic thing. I've got a couple of MK catalogues somewhere.
I sent a box full of MK 13amp plugs to my friend when I took them off our appliances before we moved them here (cost a fortune in postage). I've stlll got some stuff here in case I come over all nostalgic again and occasionally use some plugs via euro adaptors.
Cheers, Pete
Old 5th Apr 2011, 10:16 am   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Half a dozen older 13A sockets remain in situ here including two MK2949s (the 2-gang version of the above). However I have a couple of radial circuits on which I sometimes connect 'socket of the month' which could be anything including 15A, Wylex polarised, Walsall interlocked etc. The oldest fitting that has been in service here was a pre-BS gauge Lundberg pattern 2-pin probably 90 years old. The computer I am typing on now is connected via the popular MK 705 & 505 5A surface mount plug and socket pair.

Electrical fittings are interesting from various angles, technical, ergonomic, aesthetic etc. Very few people seem to give them any real thought, despite the important role they play in life (count the number of times you interact with a switch or socket per day!) Plumbing fittings seem to get a bit more attention and respect especially taps, which can be a visual focal point and command high prices for luxury variants both new and vintage. Tumbler switches are starting to attract a following, prices rising in proportion to demand. I can't imagine vintage fuse boxes ever having the same broad appeal to non-technical and non-vintage people but threads on the forum dealing with electrical accessories always seem to be popular.

Lucien
Old 5th Apr 2011, 12:33 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

I have two of the double version of that in my loft, for the light and aerial amplifier/splitter.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 12:48 pm   #8
Mark GØOIW
Tetrode

My sockets are all modern and dull-but-functional. I do remember that at my parents' house we used to have some quite useful sockets: the same size as a standard 13A fitting, they had both a 13A socket and one or perhaps two 2A 3-pin sockets that were ideal for a table lamp or electric clock. Wish I could find some. We still have some plugs, but no socket to put them in.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 5:28 pm   #9
teetoon
Heptode

Just a couple pics from my "collections".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	4607
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	49145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	49146  
Old 5th Apr 2011, 6:54 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

NURSE! Oh dear, I thought I was beyond redemption but there is hope yet!
Pictures show my old style sockets used in the workshop and 'museum'. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'Museum' lightswitch.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	49151   Click image for larger version

Name:	One of 10 'Museum' socket outlets..jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	49152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench distribution board..jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	49153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop bench isolator.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	49154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop 'Raw Mains' outlets..jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	49155  

Old 5th Apr 2011, 8:12 pm   #11
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I remember when I removed a damaged socket like that in the first post, it was in my bedroom in the mother's old house, and someone had shoved a bed into it and of course it had cracked the socket and the base, and was still live...

I replaced it with a modern double 13A socket, seeing as it was the only socket in there and I was stocking my room with computers, TVs and other electricals, I later ran a spur off it as well (probably a bad idea thinking about it now, but it worked fine), which I ran to the opposite end of the room for a lamp and a couple of other things.

In the kitchen of the same house, there was a cooker switch with socket (neither actually hooked up, the cooker was removed and a gas one fitted in a different position), but it had another of the above style sockets next to it, which was wired up and working, though never had much use cos the washer and dishwasher were in the way making it hard to reach, prev. occupants must have been tall!!

There wasn't much left in that house that was original (well, originally fitted long after the house was built, it still had (disconnected) gas lines for gas lamps), though around the fuse panel there was a lot of leftover wiring which was probably for BS546 outlets going by their sheer number and varying sizes, aswell as a quite old 2-fuse box, not connected of course, I wish I salvaged that before moving out, could have been worth something now.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 8:47 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Pictures show my old style sockets used in the workshop and 'museum'. Regards, John.
Picture 2 looks like a sendup of an electrical safety poster
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Apr 2011, 8:13 am   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes it is lovely and just how I remember them in the 60's The adaptors are connected to: Ekco TMB272, Pye V14, Roberts RMB, Bush TV22, Ekco TS88 and the last goes to another 5amp 2pin socket mounted on a polished wooden block [kindly made for me by another Forum member] with yet another 3 way adaptor just to make sure I have a few spares..
[Thanks Peter] Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Extension socket..jpg
Views:	878
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	49165  
Old 10th Apr 2011, 8:53 pm   #14
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
I wish I salvaged that before moving out, could have been worth something now.
Are some of those fuseboxes worth more than the scrap metal value then? I've chucked out quite a few over the years but there might be one or two still up in the loft.
Old 10th Apr 2011, 10:32 pm   #15
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

They're not generally worth much but some of us do collect them, so worth offering before chucking. I have about 80 fuse boxes of all shapes and sizes but there are more to find, just like plugs and sockets and junction boxes and lampholders and...

Lucien
Old 11th Apr 2011, 7:26 pm   #16
reel to reel
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by model746 View Post
Who is still using old plug sockets in their house?
Just Come back from my friends house he's given me some vintage MK plug and sockets some really nice ! I'll post some on here soon I collect all old Mk fittings !

Regards

Dan
Old 11th Nov 2014, 8:55 pm   #17
robin coleman
Hexode

You have got to love these old plugs they have more of a stylish appeal. John I love the jelly mould switch have you earthed the brass shell? I have a few of these but you get a tingle from them. I have a few fuse boxes now even a glass frounted one. Need some knob and tube fittings now.

Regards, Robin.
Old 12th Nov 2014, 1:10 am   #18
emeritus
Dekatron

I use a couple of the double, switched, versions of the socket shown in the original post in my shed. They were bought, new, in an electrical shop circa 1978 as discontinued items.
Old 12th Nov 2014, 12:43 pm   #19
Brigham
Octode

I don't tend to use fixed BS1363 pattern sockets, although I do use a multiple-outlet surge-protected bar of them for computer gear. My only concession.
Old 12th Nov 2014, 6:55 pm   #20
emeritus
Dekatron

Just back from a checkup at the dentist's, and lo and behold, saw an example of the single switched socket of #1 on the skirting board of his newly-refurbished treatment room still doing sterling service.
Closed Thread