UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2011, 5:16 pm   #41
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage electric blanket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
A easy answer? Sew a line dropper cord into a blanket
You may jest but there was a columnist in "Electronics - the Maplin magazine" in the 1990s who claims to have done just that as a youngster -- using failed line cords, which he diagnosed with the aid of a multimeter and crudely but workably repaired.

I'm happy for now with my four-legged bedwarmers. The smaller of the two even comes up next to my pillow and purrs me off to sleep!
Old 14th Feb 2011, 1:20 pm   #42
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
A couple of pics from my 1937 trade catalogue.
I note the spherical one is 400 WATTS! - or so it says in the catalogue.
Anyone for roast beef? Tony.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 12:11 am   #43
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Lightbulb Re: Vintage electric blanket!

Truth stranger than fiction . . .

When I was working as a lab assistant at Pilot Radio in the winter of 1939/40 there was a great fuss when a couple of workers on the Little Maestro radio assembly line were discovered "helping themselves" to linecords and making up "bed warmers" for anyone who fancied one!.

Happy days

MM

Last edited by Station X; 31st Oct 2011 at 12:12 pm.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 11:53 am   #44
robert202
Retired Dormant Member

Modern electric blankets are quite safe as not only do they have a cut-out to stop them from overheating, they are also low voltage and work on a 12v or 24v supply transformed from the mains.
Older electric blankets are dangerous because they operate on the 230v mains supply (or 120v in the US) directly. They had no thermostat cut -out and could overheat as well as providing the potential for electrocution should the elements become damaged.
Old 15th Sep 2013, 7:22 am   #45
petervk2mlg
Heptode

I have an old Dee Gee electric blanket control box here. I doubt it would have been a very effective item. There is a three position switch I assume selects between tappings on the secondary of the transformer. On low the output is about 3.5 volts AC; on low, 7.5 volts AC and on high 11.5 volts AC.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeeGee.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	84069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeeGee_1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	84070  
Old 15th Sep 2013, 1:58 pm   #46
DAC10 Collector
Tetrode

In the early 1950s, my Grandfather made an electric blanket from an element kit that was specifically supplied for the DIY enthusiast to install in a suitable blanket. Needless to say, he was encouraged to replace it in the early 1960s.

Mike
Old 15th Sep 2013, 4:33 pm   #47
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
A couple of pics from my 1937 trade catalogue.
Good Grief - 400 Watt; I wouldn't like to think what would happen to any extremities which came into contact with that in the night (earthed or not)!
Old 15th Sep 2013, 7:08 pm   #48
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

I also like the description of the one that combines heat with radium.

Michael
Old 15th Sep 2013, 8:54 pm   #49
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
...Luckily she was not in bed & smelt it burning...
My Mother-in-Law had a similar experience, and afterwards she asked me to test the blanket for safety. I resisted the temptation to say "Oh, it's fine..." Over the years she has owned several more electric blankets, and has managed to survive to 88 and still counting.

For me, there's something inherently unsafe about electric blankets, but I do appreciate the improved energy efficiency one gets from warming just the bed, rather than the entire house.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Sep 2013, 9:03 am   #50
broadgage
Nonode

I would agree with those who advise against the use of a vintage electric blanket. Even when new they were less safe than modern ones and may suffer from hidden damage.

If keeping a vintage electric blanket out of interest, I suggest removing the plug, and leaving a note with the blanket "VINTAGE COLLECTABLE, NOT TO BE USED"

Many other vintage appliances such as radios may be less safe than modern ones, but are usually acceptable with a bit of common sense, and an internal inspection for faults or damage.

An electric blanket can't be inspected internally, and by definition is used either unattended to pre-heat the bed whilst in another room, or is used whilst sleeping/liable to fall asleep.

An electric bed warmer that consists of a metallic container with electric lamps within is relatively safe if the wiring is in good condition and the metalwork is earthed. A refinement would be to add a thermal fuse as protection against a forgetful owner leaving it in the bed for an excessive time.

I have one, retrofitted with a couple of 12 volt, 25 watt GLS lamps. Very seldom used though as I normally find wool blankets, a cat or two, and body heat to be sufficient.
Old 16th Sep 2013, 9:07 am   #51
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Does anyone know what they actually do at those get-your-electric-blanket-checked sessions for OAPs which are run in church halls, community centres etc?

As someone who lives in a flat-roofed house with huge single-glazed windows, an electric blanket can be a huge comfort.

Nick.
Old 21st Sep 2013, 7:51 am   #52
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I have a couple of Monogram electric overblankets in my possession. They have variable heat controls for each side of the double and I also have the instruction leaflets for both. No boxes, sadly.
Colin.
Closed Thread