UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2018, 3:58 pm   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default The National Museum of Computing clearance

I thought that perhaps members might want to be aware of this event:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysell...lection-only)/

I'm not sure why they didn't post this here, but I hope its OK to mention it.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 4:06 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: The National Museum of Computing clearance

Just a caution: these are sophisticated professional vintage scopes. They won't be suitable for a beginner in radio restoration looking for their first scope. You will need to be experienced in valve scope maintenance to take one of these on, as they are complex instruments. (You'll also need a very strong workbench).
Old 16th Feb 2018, 4:23 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I noticed an SE labs (EMI subsidiary) SM113 and an HP180 (with basic plug-ins)

These are both decent transistor-based scopes and worth having. Paul's warning about maintenance needs still stands. Light enough to carry!

David
Old 16th Feb 2018, 8:16 pm   #4
factory
Octode

There is another HP 180 scope in the saved folder.

Also in the saved folder is something I've been looking for years, a HP 524 counter. I honesty thought that there were none left in the UK, judging by how many parts have appeared for sale over the years, in fact both the smaller ones I have in my collection came from overseas (521 & 523).

Does anyone know what they are doing with it as I'm not on the eevblog forum?

David

Edit; Have joined.

Last edited by factory; 16th Feb 2018 at 8:38 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 10:02 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I'm not even going to look at this. I've got 4 in the repair queue already.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:39 am   #6
Gridiron
Heptode

The 13.35.58 picture looks like some kind of airborne radar indicator, anyone know what it is?
Mike.

Last edited by Gridiron; 17th Feb 2018 at 10:42 am. Reason: incorrect information
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:29 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I see what you mean - with the rotatable mask over the CRT (possibly to indicate a heading line). It's a shame about the camera shake on the image, making it difficult to read the markings for any clues.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 3:14 pm   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

It looks like it is US in origin to me. The shaky picture doesn't help at all.
Andy
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:07 pm   #9
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
I contacted them and went along this afternoon. They have quite a vast collection of valve based oscilloscopes awaiting disposal and came away with (probably too much!!) several oscilloscopes, the spectrum analyser, the radar display unit and the counter. There are still many Tek 500 series scopes, rack mounted scopes and ex government scopes and many others including a home made one still avaliable. All are in excellent complete condition and have been dry stored. If you want to save anything next weekend is going to be their last If you are lucky, looks like the scrap man could dispose of them. It's a pity I didn't have a van or the space as I could have taken several of the scopes to next months Harpenden B+B stall for donation!!

The museum store is certainly interesting to wander around in with many ancient computer and electromechanical bits on racks.
Christopher Capener
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 3:56 pm   #10
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Thanks to WaveyDipole for bringing this to our attention. I went over to Bletchley to collect a TEK585 magnificent beast of an oscilloscope. There was a note on it that all DC power rails were missing but I brought a TEK544 back to life a year ago so was not deterred. It too had power problems and they are very similar between the different 500 models. On a fairly quick examination it seems on mine the 45 second timer isn't working so I need to investigate further. I might be putting out a request in the Wanted section!

Ian
Old 17th Mar 2018, 1:25 pm   #11
woodchips
Octode

I collected the rest last weekend, 1/2 tonne of them!

Who had the Solartron 1220? I have a manual for the 1212, single timebase version.

I had forgotten just how poorly designed the scopes other than the large Tek/Solartron were, can't get to the valve bases to fault find, the Solartron 1400 had the PCBs soldered together. Mostly scrap, not worth the effort of repairing.

Did keep an ancient Iwatsu DSO, uses 2102 memory chips, if anyone wants it ask, does work.
Closed Thread