UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2018, 9:14 pm   #1
Autozavod
Triode

Default Ekco T310 Restoration - complete novice

G'day,

I recently purchased an Ekco T310 in good physical, and (hopefully) good electrical condition. I've worked with vintage radios however this is my first attempt at a TV.

The seller said the set's FM radio section works, I have not been able to get it to do so. I live in London and assume the modern equivalent of H, L and T still broadcast? Eventually I'd like to have it as a centrepiece of a interesting mixture of modern internet tv with a 405 receiver (via an AppleTV and aurora)

I'd like to draw on your collective wisdom about where to start with the restoration, I have the schematics and the wealth of info provided in other threads on this forum.

In VHF the set powers up, all the heaters appear to be heating and turning the volume knob produces the little bit of scratching we know and love. No sound tho, no background static, just a slight line hum.

Switching to a TV channel fires up the picture tube (after a graceful warm up period) with full raster, but again, no sound (other than the expected squeal from the EHT) I don't have an aurora set at this stage to test further.

Looking at the tuning turret, all is present and correct, the contacts are clean and the cam for changing between FM and TV is present and working. None of the caps look particularly bad either, tho they are sneaky little *******.

Where do you suggest I start?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:42 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Ekco T310 Restoration - complete novice

Hi Matt
It my need a bit of an aerial to pick up radio stations, it would have used the TV aerial originally I would expect. Are there any flashes on the screen when you rotate the turret tuner? that would suggest that the tuner and IF strip are working to a degree.
It will probably need the wax capacitors changing before it can be used. in fact damage can be caused by electrically leaky capacitors.
The set must have been stored somewhere nice and dry, the usual loft/ shed/garage stored sets normally need all of the capacitors changing (and more) before any signs of life can be seen on the tube face.
Sounds like a good one...

Rich.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 11:33 pm   #3
Clydeuk
Hexode

H, L and T - Home, Light and Third. Or as it is now Radio 4, 2 and 3.

Is this tuneable or are they preset in some way?
Old 13th Feb 2018, 1:52 am   #4
1100 man
Octode

Hi,
The three channels for Home, Light & Third are preset with the same 'biscuit' arrangement as the TV channels. Some limited adjustment is possible with the fine tune control.
In the 1959/60 edition of R&TV servicing is a list of the three BBC stations covering the whole country.
Looking at the list, there isn't a great range of frequencies for each station, so whether the biscuit was tuned for the local area or whether the fine tune control would have had sufficient range of adjustment throughout the country, I don't know.

As Rich has said, you would need some sort of aerial (even a length of wire) to receive anything on Radio.
In TV mode, you would get no sound without an Aurora connected apart from a faint hum.
I would agree that changing capacitors is going to be necessary to get it working at it's best.

Don't forget that it's a 'live chassis' TV and doesn't use a mains transformer. The chassis metalwork is connected directly to one side of the mains so make sure its the NEUTRAL!! It's well worth reading up on the precautions necessary for working on live chassis TV's if you are not used to doing so!

All the best with it,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0629.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	157284  

Last edited by 1100 man; 13th Feb 2018 at 2:02 am.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 2:53 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

If the seller had it working in a different area of the country it is possible that it needs re-tuning to your local BBC stations but there is lots of stuff on FM/VHF in London now, I'm surprised that you got nothing.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:29 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There is a lot of information on this Forum regarding Ekco televisions. The 300 series covers a vast range of models that are all very similar. A few that come to mind, T330 T331, T310 T311, T326, T327. A Forum search will come up with all the answers. Regards, John.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:43 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

You should be able to tune in an FM station using the fine tuning, my T310 picked up stations with just a crude length of wire in the aerial socket.
Try all three H,L,T positions in conjunction with the fine tuner.

All the wax caps will need replacement, be aware that some of the caps look like fat resistors on these sets, the values are read the same way as the resistor colour codes.

Do not run the set for too long in it's current condition, especially in TV mode.

Mark
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:18 am   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

You might find this Forum thread useful in identifying the capacitors that will almost certainly be faulty in your Ekco T310

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=98964

In particular, your set will have the following types fitted:

Hunts "Moldseal" black or brown moulded cylindrical types, some may have paper sleeves around them.

TCC wax coated capacitors

Dubilier brown moulded type, with hemispherical ends and colour code stripes around the body (at first glance you might think they are resistors).

There will be quite a few of these in the turret tuner/IF/video and sound sub-chassis. If you remove the entire chassis, the part I just referred to can be unplugged from the power, sync and timebase chassis, by unscrewing three (or so) hexagon headed self-tapping screws, located at the junction of the two chassis units.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:40 am   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

Another thing to be aware of is the "Trumpet" wafer switch that changes between TV & radio, these can stick and burn their contacts.
I always switch the set off before changing from radio to TV.

Once restored, these sets work really well. Picture quality is outstanding if the tube is up to standard.
Take plenty of close up pictures of the chassis before starting work and only replace one cap at a time, as it is very easy to make a mistake if changing several at a time!

Take your time and enjoy, I do have a copy of the service info if you need it.

Mark
Old 13th Feb 2018, 6:22 pm   #10
Autozavod
Triode

Thanks gents,

Your advice is invaluable. Especially the safety advice, I learnt my lesson years ago with a live chassis (lesson: don't fiddle with a live chassis when you're home sick with chicken pox) and won't go near one today without eye protection and a huge serving of respect.

The VHF tried with a length of wire as an aerial, still nothing so I'll leave it switched off till the new capacitors arrive from Bright Components.

Thanks John, the plan is to replace the caps in the same order as you suggested in this post https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=67298

Mark, I'd love as much service info as possible, send it through please.

Regarding D1, can I replace this with a standard signal diode, such as an 1N4148? For D2 and D3, a silicon diode, 1n4004?

Many thanks,
Matt
Old 14th Feb 2018, 2:59 pm   #11
Freya
Octode

Quote:
Regarding D1, can I replace this with a standard signal diode, such as an 1N4148? For D2 and D3, a silicon diode, 1n4004?
Hi Matt,

Not sure if you mean the CD1 vision detector diode, crystal diodes are generally reliable but if there was a short between pins 7 & 8 of V9 30FL1 it will take out the diode.
Suitable replacements are Mullard OA90 and OA91 or the older OA80 and OA81 will fine as replacements.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 3:23 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

1N4148 is a silicon (Si) diode, the original and OAxx diodes are Germanium (Ge), much lower forward volts drop.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:03 pm   #13
Freya
Octode

Don't forget there is a nice wax 0.1uf lurking within the tuner, and also a 2uF electrolytic.
Also check the 16uF section of the dual can electrolytic C26 they are usually shorted.

Last edited by Freya; 14th Feb 2018 at 6:11 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 8:17 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Please don't carry out a mass replacement of components without observing the results on a picture signal after each replacement. Blanket replacement will only lead to disaster and you will learn nothing. Take notes down ie Component circuit position. Symptom before replacement. Symptom after replacement etc. Take photos with a digital camera. You will always get an Ekco working, even if it has been dredged out of a river and yours sounds a real cracker chassis wise.

These Ekco models are very easy to service given a little help. Accessibility is excellent and all the components are laid out and identifiable in the service manual pictures.

Sorry if I appear a bit brutal but you will learn a lot from the guys on this Forum and the end result will be all the better and more of a learning experience for yourself, rather than the 'painting by numbers' approach. All the very best with it. John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 14th Feb 2018 at 8:22 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:16 pm   #15
KeithsTV
Nonode

When you get it working you'll need the user manual. As my parents rented one of these sets when they were new, 60 years ago, I have the user manual for the T310 and the T326, the same but without the FM radio, which I posted in this thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=67298

They only had the 310 for a short time as they didn't want the FM radio, after all they had a perfectly good AM radio, so it was changed for the 326.

Keith
Old 14th Feb 2018, 10:50 pm   #16
Autozavod
Triode

Thanks again everyone.

Some capacitors arrived today so I replaced the 0.1 in the turret, and the 2uf electrolytic. 0.5 boost cap and 0.1 decoupled cap replaced.

I now have an aurora too. No change in fm or with the aurora running with a little bit of wire in both sockets placed nearby (as suggested elsewhere in the forum) in case there were sparks. No change in reception. No visible change in screen pattern when changing channels.

22 uf electro on order to replace c26 and c27 as suggested.

Here's a pic of the screen on channel 1 with the aurora running as discussed.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	157390  
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:51 am   #17
Freya
Octode

Could you post some pictures of the underside of the chassis, it would be helpful to see the type of capacitors that have been fitted to the IF strip.
Its very odd not to get something on the radio at all, does the fine tuning operate the cam on the tuner correctly ?
I would connect the aurora directly to the set initially as its likely to be quite deaf, then as the signal improves use an attenuator to back it off. Its very unlikely to have any sparking issues connecting it directly as this set is transformer coupled.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:19 am   #18
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I would connect the aurora directly to the set initially as its likely to be quite deaf
I agree, make up a lead from a length of co-ax (F-connector to Belling-Lee plug). The Aurora does put out a strong signal, so you should be able to get some activity on the screen.

Try rotating the fine tuner, if still no sign of the test tone or screen disturbance, make sure the contrast is turned up to max & the interference limiter is set to minimum.
You should be able to see some flashes on screen when the turret tuner is rotated.

Mark
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:49 am   #19
Autozavod
Triode

Thanks again,

I’m a bit surprised as well, it seems as if something small but important isn’t happening in the tuning section. The fine tuner and cam is present and correct, and all the biscuits had clean terminals. Maybe take a very close look at the aerial input too, just in case it has corroded.

The major difference after changing the caps in the turret was there is now an audible click when changing stations, no screen changes.

Will post pics of chassis tonight.

Could it be something ridiculously simple such as a dud 6D2 demodulator?

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:00 am   #20
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autozavod View Post
No change in fm or with the aurora running with a little bit of wire in both sockets placed nearby (as suggested elsewhere in the forum) in case there were sparks.
Confused a little. With the Aurora connected to the aerial socket, do you get a signal? The Aurora will display a test card without any input.

Do you get flashes and clicks when you operate the channel selector?
Make sure channel 1 coils are fitted in the tuner and they are correctly positioned or the Aurora is set to a Band 1 channel that is selected by the T310.

Make sure that the chassis is connected to mains NEUTRAL and it will be quite safe to connect the Aurora being run as it is from an isolated power supply.

If you are still concerned, connect the output of the Aurora through two 470-1000pf capacitors, one in the screen and one in the central core of the co-ax cable. J.
Closed Thread