UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:28 pm   #1
DevonDesal
Retired Dormant Member

Default GEC 2811 - Dismantling Advice

Good Evening All,

A new member here with an, I'm afraid, very basic starter question.

For years my parents have had in the house an old GEC 2811 (Image attached) that has been used and although it's had it's issues it's carried on working. After being away for an extended period and going to use it, it now needs some TLC (I think largely cleaning of switches and contacts) so I have started to look at taking it apart to access these parts over the Christmas break.

While visiting home at the weekend I had a look at what tools I would need and reached the fairly embarrassing stumbling block of not managing to work out how to open it! I have found 4 small philips head screws on the front underside, and I assume a rear screw related to the internal power supply, but nothing else obvious. I was reaching the point of suspecting there is a certain point that needs enough force to un-clip, but without knowing the point I fear breaking something!

Has anyone had some experience dismantling one of these or similar who may be able to advise a rough order of how to approach it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Record Player.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	152979  

Last edited by DevonDesal; 27th Nov 2017 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Missing Photo Attachment.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 5:10 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: GEC 2811 - Dismantling Advice

Way back in the mists of time I think I resurrected one of these but I have forgotten the details. If you can get the bottom off then you should be able to see the retaining clips for the deck at the bottom of the transit screws. Flip those in line with the screws and you should be able to lift out the deck. You might have to unsolder connections - take photos for reassembling guidance (!). That should give you enough space to see how the rest of it is put together. Those slider pots are usually very noisy by now but you should be able to squeeze a bit of switch cleaner in under the control knobs and work them back and forth to clean the track - good luck.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 11:05 pm   #3
DevonDesal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GEC 2811 - Dismantling Advice

Thanks, I think even the comment about getting the bottom off is a step forward as my first thought is the front fascia might be the first part that is removed! I will loosen every screw i can find and start looking to see if I can find any movement.
Closed Thread