UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:28 am   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson Studio 100D.

Hi. I have a Ferguson Studio 100 D Unit. What is the tracking weight on this player. It also has a push in /out button for stereo/mono.Is this for the radio only, or will stereo records play mono if in mono position.?
Hoddbod.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:35 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson Studio 100D.

The push in button is usually used for the playing of records in either stereo or mono. However in bad FM radio signal strength areas, using Mono when recieving a noisy stereo broadcast will give a cleaner signal. All AM broadcasts are mono only. The ideal tracking weight on the tone arm should be between 2.5 and 3 grams, but given the rather budget build of this, up to 4 grams will be fine.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 10:17 am   #3
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your reply. Where can i get a user manual for this model?
Hoddbod.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 10:32 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It may be quite hard to find a User Manual but you may be more likely to source a Service Sheet/Technical Manual which may cover some of the information that you seek. This is a rather entry level/basic stereo unit, so it rather depends on what you expect from it and what you want to use it for.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 7:59 pm   #5
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cassette Drive belts

Hi. Can anybody tell me what cassette player was fitted to a Ferguson Studio 100 D. And how do i get drive belts for this machine.
Hoddbod.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 11:37 pm   #6
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Cassette Drive belts

Should you enter Ferguson Music Centres into the UK Vintage Radio search box, or Google a number of threads will be shown. In addition, entering the same on ebay will show you that the cassette deck is used on a number of models which would help narrow down your search.
To save you time, look for a Ferguson 20D posted by a fellow member who you will need to contact for the supply of belts.

Good luck

Chris
Old 13th Oct 2017, 12:50 am   #7
joebog1
Banned

I have seen this question numerous times before!!
This information is from Australia, but I believe the method of measuring belt diameter/length is world standard ( PLEASE dont kick me too hard if I am wrong)
One thing that is standard is the number of belts still available, along with pinch roller tyres and complete capstan rollers.

I offer this info from a local catalogue and is for general information only.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Belts.pdf (571.6 KB, 259 views)
Old 14th Oct 2017, 12:10 am   #8
simpsons
Octode

Cricklewood Electronics have a selection of flat and square cassette drive belts in stock. Also, it is worth noting that Ferguson must have bought in the cassette unit and it looks very similar to one used by Dynatron in, for example, the SRX30.

Should working out the belt size a challenge, then troll through ebay music centre adverts looking for a similar cassette unit. Then see what information is available.

Chris
Old 14th Oct 2017, 9:54 am   #9
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Speakers for Ferguson Studio 100 D

Hi.

The speakers with my unit are pretty basic,and the sound quality is not very good. What speakers can I replace them with? The wire connectors are the bar and pin type. Modern replacements don't seem to use this type of connector.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hoddbod.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 11:15 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Speakers for Ferguson Studio 100 D

You mean DIN plugs. You can cut these off and then bare the wires and fit (usually) Banana Plugs for newer speakers. Note their + and - polarity.
However, you don't necessarilly need "new"speakers.
You can get excellent 1970s/1980s speakers off the Auction sites for up to £50.00. Go for Tannoy, Celestion, Wharfedale, Goodmans - they will sound super on your 1980s Ferguson. They may even have DIN sockets on them.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 11:23 am   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

The speakers will only reproduce what the amplifier feeds into them, so replacing the existing ones will not improve the quality of the sound to any great degree.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 11:37 am   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

What you call the 'Bar & Pin' connector is the one-time DIN Standard speaker plug which was used by many manufacturers in the 60s & 70s, maybe later. DIN speaker plugs are still available from Maplin and on eBay, etc. They can easily be fitted to any speaker lead. Solderless versions are/were available. As Audio 1950 says, speakers can only reproduce what is fed into them, although a pair of 2-way types from such as Celestion, Wharfedale, etc., may offer some improvement. Most HiFi Speakers are nominally 8 ohm impedance so will be OK to use with your Music centre.
Old 14th Oct 2017, 11:41 am   #13
paulsherwin

Better speakers will improve the sound, though they won't magically transform a very basic system into something wonderful.

As Edward says, a pair of mass market 70s hifi speakers would be ideal, as they tend to have a very forgiving sound.
Old 15th Oct 2017, 6:37 pm   #14
kirstyd
Heptode

Back in the late 70's I had a Panasonic music centre 3000 [I think] all silver with perspex lid and about 20 watts per channel. I'ts speakers however were just the usual chip board covered in little more than Fablon, housing a 6 inch driver and a small tweeter. My mate's parents' had a Bang and Olufsen music centre [a few years older than mine] One day [while they were out] we tried the B&O speakers on my Panasonic. The difference in sound was astounding to say the least.
Old 15th Oct 2017, 7:08 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've seen the foam surrounds on the speakers that go with the Ferguson Studio series machines deteriorate to dust, leading to really bad sound quality.

It's possible that pretty much any working pair of speakers might make it sound massively better.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 2:13 pm   #16
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default No Power

Hi. I have a Ferguson Studio 100D unit. I have been trying to repair the cassette player. One of the capstan Tyres was stuck and i cleared that. I fitted a new drive belt and installed the unit. It played but with very erratic speed. I removed the unit again and the the screws that held the large drive wheel were loose so i tightened them and replaced the unit. But it would not play at all. There was no power. I put all the cable connectors as before but no go. i can't see what the problem is. What is the problem?. The record deck works OK. Can any body give any ideas.
Hoddbod.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 2:33 pm   #17
Station X

Several threads concerning the same piece of kit merged.

There may be inconsistencies.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 6:50 pm   #18
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Hodbod, if you mean the screws which hold the Flwheel in place, one in particular usually has a small coil spring underneath, This must not be screwed up tight It is adjusted to give a small amount of vertical play(usually 2mm at most) between the bearing and the flywheel. This doesn't explain why the cassete mechanism wouldn't run at all, though.
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 11:57 am   #19
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson Studio 100D

Hi. What deck is in my Ferguson Studio 100 D, Garrard or BSR. I think it is a BSR, but there is no name on the the deck, just Ferguson. Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson_Fotor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	153285  
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 12:20 pm   #20
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Types of record players

AFAIK that is a BSR (not sure which model)
Closed Thread