UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2016, 4:58 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default A way of acknowledging a good post - a 'like' button

I'm really enjoying reading (for example) the thread about members' first wireless and TV memories and encounters. Although I don't feel the need to reply or respond to most of them, nonetheless I'd like to be able to hit a 'like' button to say that I enjoyed reading the post. And of course the same facility for other posts across the forum. I think such a facility to 'like' a post would bring an extra bit of enjoyment into the fray. And members' 'likes' count could form part of their information panel on the left. I know it's possible to add this facility as it exists on other forums, is there the demand and the will? What do members think?

Last edited by stevehertz; 18th Nov 2016 at 5:05 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:06 pm   #2

Default Re: A way of acknowledging a good post - a 'like' button

| don't like the idea, this forum is nice and simple, (it uses proper text too none of this rendered stuff that looks fuzzy to me). You can always reply with a smiley referencing which post if you feel the need for a 'like'.

So put me down to a this is the very first time I have used an emoticon, hopefully the last.

MM

Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:06 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

In reply to the original post...No thanks.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:15 pm   #4
unitaudio
Heptode

I don't think it's a bad idea but instead you could just refer to the post you like and say something like "well written" or "well explained" or "well said".

Regards,
Paul
Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:33 pm   #5
martiR2R
Hexode

Too modern, this is a Vintage forum!
Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:38 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I don't like the idea, this is a discussion forum not a popularity contest. 'Like' buttons belong on things like Facebook.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 18th Nov 2016, 5:52 pm   #7
Bufo Bill
Heptode

I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but it seems the majority do not agree. I don't think of it as a popularity contest, more a pat on the back for an interesting thread or idea without the need for pinning something not of universal use or interest. One of the other forums I use has a list of currently popular threads sent out in a weekly newsletter. A Like button would be much more simple to execute, but as the latter is so disliked I thought I would mention it.
Regards from Bill.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:12 pm   #8

I think Paul in post #6 has summed it up very well. Hash (#) for number (no.) is slightly niggling for me, as English is an evolving language, I will embrace the addition (eventually).

Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:18 pm   #9
paulsherwin

One potential problem is that it's possible to cheat and record multiple 'likes' (or 'dislikes', if that functionality is provided). You might wonder why anyone would want to do that, but they do.

Personally I don't feel strongly about the issue, but I think it's an unnecessary complication for a forum which seems to be ticking over quite nicely at present.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:27 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If the consensus was to add this, assuming there is a vBulletin 3.8.x addon to do so, I would make sure it has likes only (no dislikes) and that the user doing the liking is recorded so they can only like each post once (but the usernames are not shown).

However there is the concern that if someone posts what they feel is a good comprehensive detailed reply and nobody "likes" it they could be offended. It is also possible that groups of friends could all like every post each other makes which artificially boosts them.

Paul Stenning
Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:35 pm   #11
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Should this forum become a social media site with "likes" etc. I for one would be gone.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:48 pm   #12
Martin Bush
Octode

I think Steve's suggestion has merit mainly because sometimes I too want to give a pat on the back without adding another post to a thread.

Many times I've read posts and threads and learnt something, but I've had nothing of value to add. It would be nice on occasion to let whoever it is know there's someone out there reading and gaining something. I'd use it in those circumstances rather than if someone has made a witty remark or whatever..

That said, it's a nice idea, but not crucial.

But, for Steves benefit here, 😃

Martin
Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:49 pm   #13

To quote most sci-fi, "Paul, don't press the button".

Old 18th Nov 2016, 6:58 pm   #14
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

As anyone who frequents other web-based forums will know, many (most?) have a 'like' or 'thanks' button with a section under the post saying something like: "The following 12 users say thank you to Rubber Chicken for this post: ..."

It can be helpful, particularly for a forum used for discussing more controversial issues than vintage radio matters.

It's not just a facebook thing, but it's probably not going to add anything to our forum.

Ian
Old 18th Nov 2016, 7:32 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think the friendly nature of this forum would be compromised. I use facebook alot especially to keep in touch with friends who've moved away and I see lots of 'likes' used as a tool for opposing someone's point of view; if someone suggests something, and someone replies with a counterpoint, and someone else 'likes' the counter point, well it's only a step away from ganging up on someone in a feeding frenzy.
The forum is already a politics-free zone and it's all the better for it. If I or some other member posts something that's (for example) technically misleading or innacurate, then I appreciate a polite correction as it is invariably followed by an explanation as to why the post was wrong. A 'like' button would allow people to pass comment without explaining why. No point belittling someone in public!
Old 18th Nov 2016, 7:38 pm   #16

Quote:
The forum is already a politics-free zone and it's all the better for it.
Another reason for not having a 'like'.

My ideal solution to this would be a moderator to say no and close the thread.

Old 18th Nov 2016, 7:59 pm   #17
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

I think the 'Like' influence of social media isn't so benign, for the reasons already listed. Also, it's pretty 'mindless' to just click on a like button. It doesn't even show that the 'liker' has really read what's there. I vastly prefer to take the time to acknowledge a thread that I particularly appreciate, and I also really take notice if someone does the same for me. It's far more human and authentic, IMO.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 8:02 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It is not broke ,so dont fix it! Great as is and as it was intended.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 8:05 pm   #19
Martin Bush
Octode

I don't think the people on here are the types to misuse features. I've had nothing but help and encouragement even when I ask a silly question. It's a great forum.

That said, if the way to show thanks or appreciation is to say so in the thread then so be it.

I still think Steve was right to raise the idea.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 9:24 pm   #20
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It is always interesting to raise and discuss these ideas to understand how people feel.

At the moment it seems that the majority are not keen on this particular idea, but I'll let it run until tomorrow evening to allow time for others who may wish to comment either way.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread