UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2017, 2:22 pm   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Garrard 2025TC autochanger tracking weight

I have recently had the chance to measure the (non-adjustable) average tracking weight on the loss-mass, tubular tone arm of the ubiquitous Garrard 2025TC autohanger. In each case the arm was fitted with a (quite adequate) Acos GP96-1 stereo ceramic cartridge.
On my digital scales all weighted very, very, close to 3.5 grams - e.g. 3.47 grams to 3.53 grams.
This does tend to suggest that while autochangers are much malaigned, these decks are fine for average (non-audiophool) stereo LP pressings and will be as "kind" as many highly regarded vintage arms such as that used on say a Garrard 4HF.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:03 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC autochanger tracking weight

Thanks for that, Edward. As I've said many times before, if autochangers really were "record grinders", then there would be precious few good condition 60s and 70s pop records left, as I would think 90% of them were played by the teenagers of the day on a record player equipped with a changer. As it is, there are still millions of vintage original records around in excellent condition.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:42 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

I will second that ! I have just been looking at a pile of records removed from a Jukebox they all look in remarkably good condition , Mick.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:03 pm   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Yes well a modern cartridge in a juke box (Shure perhaps) tracks at 4 or 5 grammes but the older cartridges such as the GE mm or crystal tracked at 10 grammes and ex jukebox records of that time were ploughed out and came off almost white.

They still played though but with some distortion on a Hi Fi set.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 8:25 am   #5
GP49000
Hexode

Just to clarify, there IS a tracking weight adjustment on the Garrard 2025TC. A spring, which serves to offset the dead weight of the cartridge, tonearm head and tonearm tube forward of the arm's pivot shaft, can be moved among several different holes in a bracket to which it gets hooked. There were also two different springs, coloured red and silver, to provide a wider range of adjustment if necessary.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 10:31 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I consider the 2025TC to be one of the kindest record changers around (with the exception of a few esoteric designs rarely seen in the UK). Fitted with the Sonotone 9TA(HC) cartridge, record wear was minimal and results excellent.

HOWEVER, not all changers were created equal. An earlier machine with a mono crystal cartridge tracking at well over 10g wouldn't be a good choice for precious records.

N.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 11:14 am   #7
GeoffK
Heptode

My SRP51 with the Garrard 2025TC fitted with Sonotone 9TAHC cartridge measures with my Garrard SPG3 pressure gauge just over three grams which is very good for this type of record player, it has never had any adjustments since new. My Pioneer direct drive deck measures just over one gram so I would prefer to play my more cared for records on this deck. But the SRP51 is still a good record player to listen to other LP and singles on even if only mono without the add on unit. These decks are fine for ordinary listening though the term audiophool shouldn't be used because better quality record decks and hi-fi equipment in general is also used to listen to music. There is a clear difference between a general purpose record player and one designed for higher performance to make the most of the music on the record while minimising record damage with low tracking weight and low friction bearings in the pickup arm.

Last edited by GeoffK; 14th Aug 2017 at 11:37 am.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 1:42 pm   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

It is a bit simplistic to assume that tracking weight is not the only parameter when considering likely damage to records when using a record player.
Gary
Old 14th Aug 2017, 4:27 pm   #9
GeoffK
Heptode

Post Re: Garrard 2025TC autochanger tracking weight

Can you expand on this a bit more, it doesn't quite make sense. There are many parameters that determine record damage. The true tracking angle is only correct at one point on the record as it tracks in an arc across the record surface. The rake angle also changes on a stacking changer from the ideal. The record groove is travelling faster on the outside than near the centre so stylus wear will be greater at higher speeds. The record might be off centre. All these factors along with tracking weight can determine record damage. Then of course the handling of the record can damage the surface with scratches and marks.
Old 14th Aug 2017, 4:55 pm   #10
sp10mk11
Octode

Totally agree plus the compliance or lack of it some times in an old cartridge will affect the way it leaves a foot print on the record.................

Arghhh (senior moment) I meant to say It is a bit simplistic to assume that tracking weight is the only parameter when it comes to damaging records, a low compliance cartridge at three grams can damage a record, especially an old one where the support rubbers have gone hard
So stating that a Garrard tracking at 3 grams is safe is not correct unless all the other parameters are taken into consideration.
Think that's right
Gary
Old 14th Aug 2017, 7:40 pm   #11
peter_sol
Octode

I think this is getting out of hand and not at all what Edward was originally trying to say.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 2:57 pm   #12
vinthekid
Diode

5g for a GP96-1 according to Hacker manual.
Closed Thread