UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2017, 7:49 pm   #1
Electricdreams
Hexode

Default Transfering files CP/M

Hi Guys,

A question. Can I transfer CP/M files from a windows 10 pc (using usb to serial) to Kaypro computer running PIP command on CP/M?

If so what is the recommend speed is it 9600bps and is there handshaking etc?

I'm trying to transfer Zork to the Kaypro.

Any suggestions on other means of transferring is welcome. So far all I have is a windows 10 laptop and a external floppy drive that uses the same floppy disc as the kaypro (3.5)

Paul
Old 17th Oct 2017, 8:25 pm   #2
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Transfering files CP/M

I would recommend no faster that 2400 baud. Also remember that
you are limited by the amount of memory the kaypro has.

Try the following
On the windows pc convert the files to intel hex.
Connect the computer via the serial ports
on the kaypro type
pip file.hex=rdr:

With luck this will cause the kaypro to record input from the serial port and save it to disk

On the pc run a terminal emulator such as teraterm

Sent the hex file created from the terminal emulator

When finished type control+z into the hyperterminal this should release the keypro console

then on the keypro use the command
load file

To convert the file back to binary
you can then delete file.hex

This is a quick summary

There is also some information in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oxnyERDgI

Hope that helps
Old 17th Oct 2017, 9:09 pm   #3
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Not sure of the format details for your Keypro.

If it's a format supported by 22disk, then I could offer an easier route - I could create a Keypro disk, and copy the files to it, and send you the disk(s) via UK post. No shortage of 3.5" disks, DD and HD. I've got versions of Zork. Not sure about config requirements (screen codes, etc)

Geoff
Old 18th Oct 2017, 2:05 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

When I've done this sort of thing in the past I've used "Kermit" ob the sending-end because it has a great range of options for specifying things like idle-timers between sending each character/line - important to prevent data-overrun if the receiving CP/M [or RSTS/E or RT/11...] system's UARTs have only limited buffering ability, or if [heaven forfend!] you're doing the serial-to-parallel conversion on the receiving-end by software 'bit-banging' on a single binary-input line...

Kermit is freely available: http://www.kermitproject.org/kermit.html

[In the 1980s I did some development with Joe Doupnik and Chris Giannone on Kermit for what was then available via the SIMTEL20 free-software repository]
Old 18th Oct 2017, 6:20 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I also used to use Kermit for this sort of thing, but haven't touched CP/M for at least 20 years so can't remember the details.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 7:18 pm   #6
acollins22
Pentode

The PIP trick to receive Intel hex files on the fly is a new one on me and a great tip.

You can read more about it here... http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archi...#Section_1.6.4

Thanks to JohnBHanson for that tip.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 3:55 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Don't know how far back in tech times this will work, but I've used PCLINKER ( by Paraben) as a dos transfer system using LPT and something like a null modem cable ( bear with me ,as it's long time since I used it) to transfer data from PC to PC.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 5:31 pm   #8
jay_oldstuff
Octode

buy an old p3/p4 laptop with a proper floppy disk (can be baught for under £20 on ebay) then download omniflop. that is all you'll need to make disks for your Keypro.

I use the same system to make disks for my CPM systems only i use a desktop with both 3.5 and 5.25 inch disk drives.