UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 29th Dec 2017, 11:07 pm   #141
Argus25
Octode

Default Re: Third hip replacement in 21months...

Al,

I'm sorry about this horribly rough patch you are going through and all the set backs you have suffered. Those drug side effects are are nasty. It is a dual edged sword with the drugs as untreated pain & inflammation causes its own problems too, both at the psychological and physical levels. A very difficult balance to get them right for any individual.

It is a great thing you have electronics projects to work on to keep your mind active and distracted from the torment of your current health issues. Most of the problems in electronics get solved well in the mind, or on paper. By the time your high voltage project is ready for final construction it will probably be the best one on the planet.

I hope the New Year brings improvements in your health and I wish you all the best for your recovery.

Hugo.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Dec 2017, 5:42 pm   #142
astral highway
Nonode

Hello Hugo,

Thank you so much for your encoiraging words; it means a lot to me to sense recognition of the journey that Iím on. Iím not the only one, by any means, to be navigating a situation that I never expected to arise and one that continues to stretch me to my virtual limits sometimes, so when the time is right, i hope to find a modest and appropriate way in which to help others find and hold on to resilience when it seems far away and fragile.

I love the connections of minds and friendly collaboration and friendship across sometimes huge distances, offered by this forum.

And yes, I hope the project can take shape to some sense of s launch date, sooner rather than later! Iím doing it in thy pieces, and as you point out, the more cerebral aspects of it can be a great distraction!!

Thanks again Hugo and I hope you have a great 2018.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 7:06 pm   #143
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Al,
All the best and hope 2018 is a better year for you.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 7:08 pm   #144
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I had a bad patch about 5 years ago, progressive paralysis in all 4 limbs, moving inwards, which convinced me I'd bought the farm. The medicos weren't saying any more than it seemed to be viral and doing a load of tests. They spoke of eventual intensive care. Scared was an understatement. It turned out they had a very good idea of what it was, but thought I'd look it up and get more worried. I don't think they considered how worrying their not seeming to have a clue was. It was one of those things where there is no treatment whatsoever for the cause, you either get through it on your own systems, or you don't. I was told that roughly 40% of people make a reasonably full recovery, whatever that means.

There may be drugs to relieve pain and swelling, but the trauma and the after effects of the scare, you have to deal with yourself. Drive, purpose and absolute ****** determination seem to do the job better than chemicals and avoid all the side effects.

You've got a lot of drive, and you seem to be able to turn on the ******-minded determination when you need it

You'll manage. You've got a project to help you keeping looking forwards. It takes time to get over these things. The art, I found, was in being busy enough to not notice the time going by...

David
Old 1st Jan 2018, 7:54 am   #145
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

HNY Al, you'll get there in the end.

May you have better luck in 2018, Andy.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 5:15 pm   #146
astral highway
Nonode

Hey David,

Thank you for sharing what sounds like a very harrowing and testing experience indeed. I feel happy for you that you eventually got over it, with your mind and ability to live a full life intact.

And thanks for your encouraging insights and words on what's going on with me. It is all a great help to me.

I hope you have a great 2018,
Old 4th Jan 2018, 2:15 pm   #147
mole42uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Pictured is a major component of my project, with a Christmas costume...!
I hope to be well enough to finish this in January -Feb.
What a treat to see the coil dressed up!

Keep positive Al.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2018, 8:06 pm   #148
astral highway
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
What a treat to see the coil dressed up!
I'm glad you enjoyed that, Richard! It has now had 12 more coats of marine spar varnish on top of those you put on so skilfully, and recently, I've added Kapton tape to increase the dielectric strength and resilience to transit damage.

It also has a copper disc fixed at the top and a robust RF ground at the bottom.

Thanks again for your work on the foundation of this inductor!