UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2006, 12:27 am   #1
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Sovereign RP18

Hi all.
I have been spending some time on my Hacker Sovereign RP18, which was recently aquired from Paul Stenning, (thanks Paul).

The fault report from Paul, was that it did nothing but pop when switched on.

So first things first. After hooking the set up to a bench PSU, I monitored the input current, 300mA and rising (ouch, these sets shouldn't take any more than about 100mA when playing very loudly).

After removing the chassis from the cabinet, I decided to check the operation of the amplifier module first, this it seems was the first casualty,and responsible for the excessive current consumption.

Capacitor C14 was very leaky (almost short circuit). This, along with all the other electrolytics was replaced. They were all in a bad way.

After setting the quiesent current (4mA), and mid point voltage, (8.85V). The module performed very well.

Now to the rest of the set. After giving all the pots and band switches a good dose of switch cleaner, I was rewarded with, very little infact .

AM was dead, and FM very very weak.
The current was now about 24mA which is about right.
These sets use the dreaded AF11x range of transistors. So the 3 in the AM IF Strip were given the charged capacitor treatment, all recovered well. (I may replace with BF 450,s should they fail again).

After a quick re-alignment using my Radio Bygones wobulator, AM now works wonderfully.

Again the poor FM Performance was down initially to bad AF114's (there are 4 of them in these sets).
These were all replaced with AF124's, following this the IF strip was very much alive, (too much in fact ), it was very very unstable.
Replacing the electrolytics did little to help the situation.

The fault was eventually traced to a faulty diode CR4 which lives in the AGC line. I found this after checking the voltage on pin 3 of the tuner, (Indicated as a test in the service manual).

This should be 1.5V WRT the +ve rail on the IF strip, mine was at 3.5v, and could not be adjusted with R28 as indicated, replacing CR 4 cured this, and the instability.

After re-alignment the set is now performing very well indeed.
I may just need to replace the volume control, as it is rather noisy.

Although a real challenge to repair, these are IMO the best sounding Hacker's. I think they sound better than all the Sov II's and RP 38's.

Next, on to the cabinet, but first, a well deserved

Pete
Old 19th Mar 2006, 10:17 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign RP18

Hello Pete,

Gosh, you certainly know your way around transistor radios ! I've never bought a dead Hacker, they've always arrived working after little effort but then I haven't got an RP18 Sovereign with those AF11* transistors, but I must find one if they sound that good !
I look forward to seeing the cosmetic restoration.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 19th Mar 2006 at 10:25 am.
Old 19th Mar 2006, 1:48 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hillyer
Capacitor C14 was very leaky (almost short circuit). This, along with all the other electrolytics was replaced. They were all in a bad way.
Yes, I find that there are often so many faulty electrolytic caps in Hackers of this vintage, it pays to replace the lot, regardless of what purists would think.

Quote:
Although a real challenge to repair, these are IMO the best sounding Hacker's. I think they sound better than all the Sov II's and RP 38's.
Totally agree, they're not nearly as engineer-friendly as the Sov IIs and Heralds, both from an access and a spares point of view, e.g. the speaker is a 30 Ohm unit.

Nick.
Old 19th Mar 2006, 1:56 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
Gosh, you certainly know your way around transistor radios ! I've never bought a dead Hacker, they've always arrived working...
About 50% of mine have been DOA, but most are very easy to understand, largely due to the fact that the AM, FM and Audio parts of the circuit are on separate PCBs, and that the service manuals are superb.

Common faults to look for are:
  • Battery terminals (e.g corrosion between the bit that attaches to the battery, and the solder tag)
  • Sockets (headphone and tape input) - corrosion or using the wrong plug can cause the normally-closed contacts to stay open, resulting in no sound
  • Dry joints in the VHF tuner head, leading to an intermittently dead set (because the tuning suddenly shifts up or down the dial, then the interstation muting kicks in and silences everything).
  • Faulty electrolytics (the smoothing ones on the FM and AM boards can go low value and leaky, robbing the boards of their supply voltages)
  • AFXXX transistors (obviously)!
Nick
Old 20th Mar 2006, 2:50 pm   #5
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

As Nick says, they are definately not the easiest sets to work on.

Fortunately of all of these that I have restored, I have never had a fault in the VHF front end, as that would be a real to get at, there are no AF11x's in there though, thankfully.

I have almost finished the cosmetics now, so will post pictures later. Thankfully the cabinet is in good condition anyway, although I did have to reglue the white beading around the front and rear panels, as well as straighten out the grille a little.

One thing I did find a little strange, on this set the rear grille is red, .
It certainly looks original though, and there is no evidence of it being replaced, or refixed at any time.

Pete
Old 20th Mar 2006, 8:10 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
As Nick says, they are definately not the easiest sets to work on.

Fortunately of all of these that I have restored, I have never had a fault in the VHF front end, as that would be a real to get at, there are no AF11x's in there though, thankfully.
I'm ashamed to say that I cannibalised an RP18 for spares a few years ago, merely because some twit had been messing around with the tuner (a German, Gorler-brand one, I think), and access for repair/testing looked too involved. The speaker is in use in my kitchen VHF Herald, and the amp board and dial have been sold/donated to people on this forum, so at least it didn't die in vain.

Quote:
One thing I did find a little strange, on this set the rear grille is red, .
It certainly looks original though, and there is no evidence of it being replaced, or refixed at any time.
Maybe they were short of black ones at the factory (the Hacker Dealer Letters I've got imply that their were perpetual problems with components suppliers), but I think it's more likely that yours is a replacement, possibly when the set was still quite new. Colourful, though

Nick
Old 21st Mar 2006, 9:42 pm   #7
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all.

Finally finished the set now. Works beautifully, listening to Classic FM , as I took these photos.

The sound quality is well worth the effort.

A most enjoyable restoration.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp18_1.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	3121   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp18_2.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	3122   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp18_3.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	3123  
Old 21st Mar 2006, 10:07 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Looks as good as it sounds, Pete
Old 21st Mar 2006, 10:45 pm   #9
Colin
Heptode

Great job Pete, it really looks the business.

One of the nice things about this forum is the encouragement and inspiration one gets from seeing a job well done.

I must put mine at the front of the 'queue'.

rgds
Colin
Old 24th Mar 2006, 7:02 pm   #10
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes I am very pleased with it.

Pete
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:54 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello Peter,

That is an excellent cosmetic restoration, well done indeed. And I have to say that the RP18 is a slightly nicer looking radio than the later Sovereign IIs
I must get one !

Howard
Old 4th Apr 2006, 8:55 am   #12
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Nice one, Pete, and I must admit that it has a better scale design than the RP25 that I just did.