UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2011, 10:31 pm   #41
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: NVCF May 15th 2011

Thanks to everyone who contributed money and/or stuff to the B&B stall. Haven't finished all the counting yet but it looks like more than £400 for the Vintage Wireless Museum.

Yes, it was chaos at times but we kept it more or less under control. Special thanks to Helen and Brian Pateman, not forgetting my lovely partner Pam who all worked very hard on the B&B.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:32 pm   #42
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Smile Re: NVCF May 15th 2011

Picked up some NOS valves for my next project (Argosy telly from 1961).
All tested this evening and all very very good or 100% - All the ones in it are either completely pooped or S/C heater to cathode.
Picked up a home made erm... Dunno... Might even be a mixer. Very useful projecay box though
Erm... A Garrard autochanger for parts for our early 50's Marconi Radiogram.
Ah, and a tranny radio I've been after since I started all this vintage malarki when I was 16 (About a million years ago) It's the same as out kitchen radio when I was a kid, An Alba set in very tatty condition, but very pleased to have found one anyway.
Oh, forgot to mention the handfull of 'Practical Television' mags...
It was great to see so many forum members and even had a chat with the great Paul Stenning. Told him I'd not bought much and he tld me to write as much about it as I could - Even mentioning listing all the valves, but I won't bore you with that.
Another great day out, many thanks to all involved.

Dave W

PS: Hope this is enough information Mr. S. lol
Old 15th May 2011, 10:36 pm   #43
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Sounds as if I have missed a great day, I very nearly came but I "will" be there the next time God willing!
Old 15th May 2011, 10:44 pm   #44
Steve_P
Dekatron

Me too. I was unwell on the day, so in the end I wasn't able to come down. Maybe next year.... This is two I've missed now!

Harvestgold : Sorry about the radio! Have you managed to shift it.

Sounds like a good event I've missed. Dilys has the same germs today and she's been in bed all afternoon.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:10 pm   #45
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I enjoyed today . first even i have been to since the Museum garden party last year ,time flies as it feel like half that time ago.
I stopped myself buying something expensive but spent £60 on an attractive Philco radio that I don't need
Old 16th May 2011, 12:01 am   #46
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It was another fantastic event today, enjoyed myself no end, and got to meet up with a couple of people too! And if I'd had the space and the money, that rather moth eaten pre war set would have come home with me!!! I settled for 10 little transistor radio's, 1 valve one, an empty case for a bush DAC90a, a set of rather expensive battery valves of the Dx96 type, and 2 nice Ferguson tv's Well, ones nice the others a bit trashed... and, I've already had first light from both!! and 8 out of 10 of the transistor radio's are working well I didn't actually spend much though, I'm saving it for November!

regards,
Lloyd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6660.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	51188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6667.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	51189  
Old 16th May 2011, 12:12 am   #47
stuie319
Pentode

Blimey Lloyd

I'm a good boy by comparison. Came home with one ucc85 that turned out to be an ebf89 when i opened the box (does anyone require one?) and i said no more big lumps well ok just one more, Ekco u49 which is completely original and will turn out superb. Fab day as always, my thanks to the organisers, the november date is set in stone in my diary! As usual it was grand to put names to faces again.

My thanks to all involved

Stu
Old 16th May 2011, 1:13 am   #48
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Well, my first time at the show, with a table with Sean and it was great. The whole experience was pleasant, from ordering the tickets to loading the remnants plus booty back into the car at 1600. Many thanks to those who worked so hard to make it so. Kerry Packered at the end but it was worth every minute.

Ian
Old 16th May 2011, 9:00 am   #49
SeanStevens
Octode

I second what Ian said. A great day, such nice people and a great place to see amazing things. Well organised.

I have however managed to sell a radio to the wrong Forum member - the only down side to a really great day out.

SEAN
Old 16th May 2011, 9:06 am   #50
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
A grand day out as usual and lots of forum people to chat to. I hope Jeffrey and the other helpers on the Bring & Buy survived the minor scrum following a tannoy announcement late in the day that anything remaining on the stall was available free of charge (or as good as).

Did that interesting 19" Pye dual standard colour set with the broken CRT find a home with a forum member?

A big thumbs-up to the organisers and behind-the-scenes bods who ensure these events run so successfully. Long may they continue.

Cheers
Steve J
A great day out indeed, I met up with a number of forum members.

I was sat with Tas in the restaurant when that tannoy anouncement came over and it was mildly amusing to say the least to watch everyone traipsing over like an army of ants!

I did feel the prices were excessive this year (more than usual) but maybe thats just me?

I'm looking forward to the meet on 13th Nov at Ali Pali. I'm hoping there is going to be lots of dual standard colour sets there for sale really cheaply so I can buy them all and still have enough change out of a fiver to get the bus home!!

Seriously though a big thanks to all involved for this great event, must be a mamouth task to organize

Cheers
Old 16th May 2011, 9:24 am   #51
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It was sure a great event, and a busy one.

The B&B table (and floor!) were overflowing. Apologies to Pam who I never got round to chatting with.

As usual, it would be great if all had name badges as I see there were a few folk from here whom I've never met 'in the flesh' but would like to.

For those I do know, I didn't see anything of Paul St, Dr Watts (I was looking for the hat) nor newlite4.

Came back with a car full of stuff, mainly for Steve P but I spent £10 on a HMV Cavendish fan heater and £1 each for a Goon Show and Spike Milligan book.

Trevor, if you want an overnight stop next year PM me.
Old 16th May 2011, 9:48 am   #52
newlite4
Octode

It was a great day out. I did'nt arrive until 11.15 because I had visited Castle Combe car boot on the way up. Good to see so many familiar faces, quite a reunion.
I bought a cluster of things including a Black Forest Bear Thermometer for £5 on one of the telephone stalls (chance find!) as well as some caps from the BVWS stand.
Looking forward to Wooton now,
Neil
Old 16th May 2011, 10:40 am   #53
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

A great day out and nice to see a few people from here - including Tas from whom I collected a lovely Dynatron CTV7 cabinet set (this is still in the car! I'm going to recruit the help of a mate this evening to get it in the house) and Mike Barker who has rewound my Murphy V310A LOPT. Nice to see Mike Phelan, Paul Stenning and others.

Very well organized, it was a pleasure to be there. Looking forward to the next one!

Brian

Edit: The CTV7 is now in my front room, thanks to the generous assistance of the milkman!

Last edited by BGmidsUK; 16th May 2011 at 11:05 am.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:15 am   #54
tedzed1
Hexode

A Brilliant day out yet again, nice to put a few more faces to names, came away with six more radio sets, including a nice murphy a146 console set, which my oldest lad has now commandeered, and wants it in his bedroom when it is finished.

I even persuaded SWMBO to go with me, Kerry totally enjoyed the day and said she will be coming with me to the next one, (she does not know about ally pally yet)

Could have been somthing to do with Micheal M asking if she was my daughter

Hats off to all the people who yet again gave up their time to organise and run the event, don't know if it was me, but I felt that this years attendance was up on last year.

Looking forward to november.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:15 am   #55
ianm
Hexode

A great day out, for which I cancelled other plans in order to attend. Glad that I did.

Thoroughly enjoyed catching up with friends involved with both this hobby and also mechanical music. Came away with quite a few gramophone records and a very neat electronic circuit for driving slave dials without the need for a master clock.

Highlight of the day for me was seeing the poorly HMV 900 pre-war TV, pictured and described in my other thread.

My sincere thanks to all those involved with organisation of this very successful event.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 16th May 2011, 12:31 pm   #56
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

I have not been in mainland UK since my Evesham training days... Finally I have a reason to visit next time NVCF is on. Are there other similar events worth the long expensive trek from Foreign Fields to Albion?
Old 16th May 2011, 1:55 pm   #57
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks also from me to everyone who contributed to the "grand day out" mentioned by many.

I didn't end up purchasing much*, but managed to exchange one carful of stuff for another (mostly different items!) Jeffrey ensured that I was protected against buying (or rather transporting) anything bulky - by filling the back of my car with uMatic machines and tapes!

*Purchases consisted mostly of filling gaps in my Practical Wireless and Television collections - the latter is now complete from April 1950 to January 2007 bar eight issues in the 1960s, 70s and 90s.
Old 16th May 2011, 2:47 pm   #58
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
I managed to re-home most of what I put on the stall, and bought very little ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I didn't buy much ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
I didn't buy all that much ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_oldstuff View Post
... the only things i bought inside were two used but tested UL84's at £1 each and a length of two core cotton covered flex ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
Didn't buy much ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Watts View Post
... had a chat with the great Paul Stenning. Told him I'd not bought much ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
I stopped myself buying something expensive ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
I didn't actually spend much though ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie319 View Post
Came home with one ucc85 that turned out to be an ebf89 ... and ... Ekco u49 which is completely original ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
I did feel the prices were excessive this year ... I'm looking forward to the meet on 13th Nov at Ali Pali. I'm hoping there is going to be lots of dual standard colour sets there for sale really cheaply ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Came back with a car full of stuff, mainly for Steve P but I spend £10 on a HMV Cavendish fan heater and £1 each for a Goon Show and Spike Milligan book ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I didn't end up purchasing much ....
Is there a pattern emerging here ? I know this wasn't everyone's experience and I know that some at least will be posting in the knowledge that their partner might read it . But I turned up with hundreds of pounds in my pocket looking for vintage audio bargains and saw very few. This was either my fourth or fifth NVCF and in the past I've always left with a few treats. But yesterday I came home with one GZ34, a plug and socket and some capacitors and valveholders. There were some nice things on display but the prices were more than I was prepared to pay.

I also had a stall so I saw it from the other side too. I was selling tiny and tatty odds and ends and in fact I shifted more of these than I might have expected. But I could see that my neighbours were struggling to move stuff and a good deal of it went back into car boots at the end of the day. There seemed to be a gap between what sellers were asking and what buyers (me included) would shell out. In my case I think the increased stall rate this year and the big rise in petrol price were both factors.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not grumbling, these are just observations. I had a great day, made some space in my garage, met up with several old friends and made a couple of new ones. I think the organisers did a great job for which they're due huge thanks. And my takings on the stall covered both its cost and even the coffee-and-cakes outlay . But, to paraphrase Hunts smoothing bomb, 'Was it just me ?' or is the vintage electronics market about to undergo a 'correction' ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 16th May 2011, 6:26 pm   #59
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I have to admit my lack of purchases was mainly down to the high prices being asked for all the stuff I was interested in, early band one tv's where thin on the ground and the few that where there where top dollar.
There where a few 20's early 30's radio sets i would of liked but the prices again being asked where high and the vendors didn't seem too interested in haggling.
It's a sad day then sets like this can be picked up on the likes of ebay for less.

Jay
Old 16th May 2011, 7:30 pm   #60
telstar
Octode

Hi. I really enjoyed my day out at the N.V.C.F on May 15th. At long last, I was able to purchase a Decca Prestomatic PT/AC in good condition with British valves. I have a similar model with American octals, but very little info on. The pointer cord is missing on the latter, so using the details on the set that I bought should help me restore the one with American octals in. I was beginning to think that I would never find another set!
I will post a photo of this rare radio later, and details of the cord drive too probably (even though it is not too difficult and no pulleys).
I bought some more of that synthetic insulated wire that replaces the rubber insulated type in old radios - really useful!
Regards
Mike
Closed Thread