UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2009, 10:06 pm   #1
TV_Madness
Pentode

Default Philips X12T Portable (XT12 740/94)

Hi Guys

I Hope everyone had a good Christmas?

I found this little set when I was very young (11 maybe?!). Even back then I had a fascination with anything electrical, so didn't hesitate to pick it up... Sometimes I think it is amazing I'm even still alive, after whacking countless items of scrapped consumer electronics straight into the mains, without sparing a thought!! I seriously thought this one had been long since disposed of by my mother and her ferocious appetite for throwing anything and everything away, however I was wrong!

I have never managed to have a go at powering this set up, due to the odd shaped mains socket on the back. It is able to run from an external 12V source but again, I have never tried.

It also had the circuit diagram, neatly folded away next to the tuner, however this has been lost over the years. (Does anybody have a diagram for this set?)

Best Regards

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0163.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	31294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0166.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	31295  
Old 26th Dec 2009, 10:23 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips X12T Portable

To find a schematic, it might prove useful to find out the complete model number first. X12T only says it's a 12" B/W TV.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 10:25 pm   #3
TV_Madness
Pentode

Ah OK

The Model (in full this time) is X12T 740/94

All the best
Old 27th Dec 2009, 12:01 am   #4
Danny
Heptode

Hi its in one of the newns red books i cant remember which on at the mo but will look over the next couple of days . these sets performed well but suffered from line lock problems . there is a mod which if i remember needed a chip change for the line osc.these used to be good for Dxing in the good old dayes and have vhf at 625 as well as normal uhf.
Danny
Old 27th Dec 2009, 1:45 am   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

This model has a T4 chassis in it. A Dutch collector has the schematic on his site: http://84.87.34.146/Collectie/Televisie/x12t740.htm
Old 27th Dec 2009, 3:20 pm   #6
TV_Madness
Pentode

Brilliant. I did have a search on the net to see if I could locate something but failed. I obviously didn't look hard enough!

Thanks for the help

Matt
Old 27th Dec 2009, 3:23 pm   #7
TV_Madness
Pentode

Just noticed that if I'd taken the space out from between "X12T" and "740", that dutch page would have been the first hit. Doh!
Old 30th Dec 2009, 2:04 am   #8
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips X12T Portable (XT12 740/94)

I have one of these in the workshop, picked it up 3 years ago from a council 'bulky item pickup night'. Not yet connected mine up, your post has made me think I should get round to it. Got the KT3 to do first tho'!
Old 30th Dec 2009, 8:44 pm   #9
TV_Madness
Pentode

Hi Ben

I have actually managed to fire this set up powered from a 12v Switc mode PSU from a PC. I just haven't had any time to post an update with... The results:

Tuner/Vision & Sound IF Sections = Seem to be A-OK
Frame Osc and Output = Again, seem to be functioning as normal
Line Osc and Output = Line scan has shrunk into a 6 Inch wide band.

First, I checked the rellevant HT Rails, whcih all seem to be at (or close) to acceptable levels. After a bit of head scratching, I had noticed a rather smoked looking resistor like component connected in parallel with an Inductor across the Line scan coils.

I'll have another look at the Circuit after tea and find out what it is!!

All the best
Old 30th Dec 2009, 9:58 pm   #10
TV_Madness
Pentode

After closer inspection of the Line stage, it seems that the Resistor / Inductor circuit mentioned above is NOT in parallel with the Line scan coils at all. This circuit is in fact connected in series with the Collector of the AU113 (Line Output Transistor) and the primary of the LOPT. They're soldered across two spare terminals on a Plug that brings the Line/Frame scan outputs up to the deflection coils. Upon first inspection, it looked as though they were connected across the terminals for the two leads up to the Line scan coils. Time for an opticians appointment I think!

At a guess, I'd say this is some form of safety measure, so that if the plug for the deflection coils were to be disconnected, it would cut off the drive to the LOPT? Maybe?

Looking at the circuit, these components do not exist at all, and there is simply a straight connection from the Collector to the Primary of the LOPT.

I don't suppose you could pop the back off of yours Ben if you get a spare 5 Mins and just check to see if these components exist in yours?

Attached is the circuit for the Line Stage.

Best Regards

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X12T740 Line Stage.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	31399