UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2006, 9:13 pm   #1
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Restored Heathkit fm tuner

Hello all I purchased this Heathkit tuner for a fiver and spent a few hours sorting out the first job was to strip the radio and clean the valves this is very difficult coz the numbers easily rub away and makes it hard to identify them. Then the chassis sprayed with multi purpose cleaner and followed by red hot kettles of water and all the grease and muck was gone the radio was then left over night to dry the mains lead was replaced and the case and other fittings were cleaned and the radio was then tested and works well and receives plenty of stations. Interesting to see this radio goes from 88 - 108mz.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0013.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	3194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	3195   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0015.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3196  
Old 26th Mar 2006, 9:38 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restored Heathkit fm tuner

Hi Andy,

a very smart job!

I have an earlier version of this (pre-PCB), and have been very impressed with its performance (once I'd removed the nicotene).

Jim.
Old 27th Mar 2006, 10:26 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Ooh, nostalgia! I used to have the stereo valve amplifier in that same range, which I built from the kit as a youngster. I can't remember where it went when I "upgraded" to the solid-state heathkit amp to go with the solid-state FM tuner, also built from the kits - these I still have, but I regret disposing of the valve amp.

Sorry, straying off a bit there, but congratulations on your tuner.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 3:30 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I bought one of these a while back and the only fault with mine was a high value 10K resistor in a screen feed to one of the IF valves if I remember correctly. I was going to build a little stereo amp for mine and rescued a stereo decoder to fit but as usual it never happened. I may have a go at that this weekend. (edit; I've just had a closer look at the photos and I think mine may be a different version. Did they do a one witha bigger pcb?)

Biggles.
Closed Thread