UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2009, 9:48 am   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Beau Decca TVs

This is probably a long shot and I'm not really sure of what I'm asking myself, but does anyone know anything regarding the history of Beau Decca TVs? Of the three that I've seen in the flesh, no two seem exactly the same. Two of the sets had rubber masks whilst the other had a gold coloured plastic mask. Two of the sets had the station-name legends on the radio facing horizontally and the other had the legends layed out vertically (so you have to crick your neck to read them). On examination of the main TV chassis (IF, frame, line etc.) of 2 sets, there were about 5% more components on one of them than the other and the circuits obviously were not the same. I've never seen a schematic or any kind of service manual for one, and I've not spoken to anyone who has ever seen one either. Did they make a service manual for the set (and does anyone have a spare one I could borrow? ) Were they similar to anything else? I'm guessing not, but I thought somebody may know something.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 12:03 pm   #2
A.v. Brown
Triode

Default Re: Beau Decca TVs

Hi Mike, You have a PM
Best regards, John.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 12:12 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Mike,
As far as I am aware all the Decca television receivers from the D17 back to 1946 were made for Decca by the Plessey Company. This includes all the projection receivers including the Beau Decca and 1000 series. Plessey were not married to a valve manufacturer and this is probably why you see such an odd mix of Mazda and Mullard valves in Plessey/Decca receivers. Mains transformers were often wound for a variety of tube heater voltages and most tubes available at the time could have been used in their chassis. Service manuals must have been available for the 1947 mirror receiver but knowing Decca it probably went through a few design changes without notification to the dealers. This may account for the differences.
I believe the DM14 series [Decca Manufactired?] were the first models to be actually designed and built by Decca engineers. Nice receivers and very rare. Regards, John.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 12:54 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks John and John for the information. The set I'm working on is one that I owned for a little while but unfortunately, in a fit of gloominess, I gave away to a good pal of mine. I'm hoping to get the set working before he comes to take it away. (Or hoping he says it's too big or scruffy for his nice house.)
Old 27th Dec 2009, 1:04 pm   #5
Station X

Quote:
Hi Mike, You have a PM
Best regards, John.
John. If you have information about these sets perhaps you'd like to share it with the rest of us? This is after all a discussion forum and many members like to follow discussions even though they take no part in them.

PMs have their place for example in negotiating sales, or sending private information like home addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. They should not be used as a substitute for posting in the forums though.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 1:37 pm   #6
A.v. Brown
Triode

Hi, I have the manual for the Beau Decca Mirror lid TV stored in my computer as a pdf file, so if any other members would like a copy contact me with your E mail address and and then I can forward it on to you.
Best regards, John.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 1:40 pm   #7
Station X

Thanks John.

That's a kind offer.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread