UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2009, 3:22 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Sony video recorder question.

Hi all. Just for a change instead of radio questions here is one about a Sony video. It has a 14 pin camera socket, looking up the specs on the net it is supposed to be a "K" type but looking up "K" type brings up nothing like it. What I require is a plug to fit it. There is a number on it but googleing brings up nothing. SRCB 2A 16-14S. and underneath.JAE. Any help much appreciated.
A DXC-M3 camera is supposed to fit but at gawd knows how many hundreds of pounds I am not going to "hope it's right".
Thanks every one heres to a Good Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIDEO RECORDER.6800. 001.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	31079  
Old 15th Dec 2009, 5:30 pm   #2
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Sony video recorder question.

Hi Geoff
This link http://www.brogers.addr.com/Web/10pinvideofaq.htm will give you the info you require.
Cheers
Brian

Oops!! I thought that it was a 14 pin! Hirose make a K type plug.
Old 15th Dec 2009, 10:31 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello, Brian thank you, the amounts of conflicting information grows, as I said, having checked again, the socket is supposed to be a "K" type but the pin layout is wrong , the pins that I want being row by row from top to bottom are 2, 3, 4, 3, 2. = 14 pins. The "K" type being 4, 4, 4, 2.
The only thing I have been able to find is 44-702 Hirose which is listed as a "Q" type.
When I have sorted things out I will come back.

Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 5:27 pm   #4
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

I thought I recognised your picture, a SONY VO-6800 side panel, haven't seen one of those for a while - IIRC it uses a couple of NP-1 batteries or an external 12 volt supply. It's a low-band portable U-matic recorder from the 1980s. There was a later VO-8800 high-band version and the Broadcast machine was a BVU150. If it's a PAL version there'll be a 'P' after the model number.

You need a SONY CCQ plug to fit that. A DXC-M3 (a 3-tube professional/industrial camera) from the same era could well have been used with it or any number of cameras from different manufacturers. The umbilical wasn't captive to the camera though, so are you just looking for a connector or do you want to find a camera?

I'm attaching a picture of a SONY CCX-Q umbilical. The CCX socket (on the right) was SONY's standard socket for Broadcast cameras, the CCQ plug (that you want) is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCX-Q umbilical.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	31094  
Old 16th Dec 2009, 6:39 pm   #5
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Ian thank you for the reply, OK to make things a little clearer because as yet I don't really know how to achieve what I want to do, I have 3 camera's ,a Sony colour HVC 4000P, a Panasonic colour WVP -G1E. This camera is virtually new, no cables, and a B & W Sony.
and of course the 6800 that you spotted. So plug to fit the 6800 recorder and socket to fit the camera,s (Sony) which I think is known as a "K" type plug.
I think that the 4000P will work with the 6800 so it's the question of connecting it all together.
If you can be of any help it really will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Mods if you think this should be retitled or moved could be kind enough to do it please. Thank you.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 7:54 pm   #6
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

I don't know the Panasonic camera. Is it genlockable?

Before we go any further, what exactly, are you trying to achieve?

Are you trying to feed the 3 x cameras into the recorder and switch between them when recording? Or maybe, feed them in via a vision mixer and use the B&W camera for captions? Or, do you want to use them one at a time?

Sorry, I need more information.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 8:22 pm   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi OK. The Panasonic is a spare and I only mentioned it as I had it.It does have genlock.( I am not sure what that is but whatever it is, yes.) I have NP-1's and have built a suitable charger. As a start I would like to use the Sony colour camera with the 6800, it is a Pal.
(On the shelf awaiting looking at is a HVS 2000P and a CMA 8 power supply.plus the B & W camera. These are for future use.) So for now it's just the recorder and camera as a portable unit.
I just want to keep things simple at the moment.
Thank you.
Geoff.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 9:40 pm   #8
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

Hi Geoff.

I've just been hunting for an SL-C7 manual I thought I had but can't find. So I can't tell you what the pin connections for the K plug that's attached to your HVC-2000 are. You'll need to locate a manual for an HVC-2000, HVC-3000 or HVC-4000 to find out. Failing that, one of the SONY recorders from that era that had a K socket fitted. The SL-3000 or SL-F1 portables or the SL-C7 mains machine for example.

You'll need a CCQ plug too. You may be lucky and pick up one on eBay at one end of an old camera umbilical or you may have to buy new.

Canford do them:-

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/44...cable-CCQ-type

Make sure you get the 14 pin version, as the picture shown on the website is the 26-pin version that I know as a CCX type. The CCQ plug connections for your VO-6800 are:-

Pin 01 Ground
Pin 02 +12v
Pin 03 Camera mic (x)
Pin 04 Camera mic (y)
Pin 05 Camera mic (Gnd)
Pin 06 Camera video in (x)
Pin 07 Camera video in (Gnd)
Pin 08 Camera video out (Gnd)
Pin 09 Camera video out (x)
Pin 10 Battery Alarm out
Pin 11 Framing pulse in
Pin 12 Rec tally out
Pin 13 Start/stop in
Pin 14 VTR save in

Note:

i). The audio is 600 ohm balanced - the output of the HVC-2000 won't be.
ii). I also have a feeling that the start/stop signal from the camera won't work. IIRC, SONY used a positive 4volt pulse from their professional cameras as a trigger signal, not a simple short/open-circuit to earth.
iii). VTR save. This is a mode where the recorder goes into standby and shuts down some circuits to save power but leaves the servos idling ready for a quick start when the camera trigger is pressed.

Genlock is used to lock the timebases and colour carriers of two or more bits of video equipment together.

The SONY portable U-matic VTRs (after the VO-3800) were fitted with a Vertical Interval Switch. The idea is that a master camera feeds into the VTR socket and a second camera feeds composite video into the BNC line input socket. Providing the second camera is 'genlocked' to the first, then you can use the video input switch to switch between the VTR socket and the line in socket without recording breakup. It would have been used on 2 camera shoots in a news situation, where there may not have been enough time to edit the cutaways into the programme later. Note that the input select switch does nothing unless there are two inputs fed to the machine at the same time.

You genlock the second camera by feeding a composite video signal from the main camera into the genlock socket on the second.

Have you had the 6800 running as a recorder and player using the BNC composite in and out sockets?

Hope the above is helpful.

Regards,
Old 17th Dec 2009, 1:07 am   #9
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Ian. Thank you very much for the pin information for the 6800. As regards the CCQ plug then I had phoned Canford's and was told 2 things.
1. They have no stock of plugs, have not ordered any and 2 can not say when they can supply.

Assuming I can find a plug then I need to have a method of joining the lead from the CCQ plug to the "K" plug on the HVC 4000P camera. The camera lead does not detach from the camera. I have tried to get a Socket to fit the "K" plug so I could simply have a small box with a lead to go to the 6800 and plug the camera into the box.
But I can not find a Socket supply anywhere or even a part number, indeed I was informed that it was a special part made ONLY for Sony!!. This from Canford's technical department.

The reason for having a box or adaptor was so that I could plug anything in with a "K" plug, hopefully.

I dont really wish to remove the "K" plug as then the Sockets on the HVS 2000 P would be rendered useless in effect.
So Ian I haven't got very far.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Forgot to say that yes I have had the 6800 playing and recording using the BNC sockets.

Last edited by Geoff 555; 17th Dec 2009 at 1:23 am. Reason: Adding something forgotten.
Old 17th Dec 2009, 10:50 am   #10
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

If Canford can't or won't supply a CCQ plug, then your best bet is to get hold of a faulty umbilical. 20 years ago there were plenty around as they often went o/c on one strand or other and it was considered better to replace rather than try to repair. If I were looking for one, I would contact some of the second-hand professional video dealers and see if they had a discarded umbilical lying around somewhere.

Try, Video Impact: http://www.visuals.co.uk/
TNP Broadcast: http://www.tnpbroadcast.co.uk/

SONY Broadcast UK: http://tiny.cc/oteOC

SONY Broadcast UK may be able to give you the names of more dealers.
They also ought to be able to supply you with a CCQ plug but it will be at a 'price'.

In the 1980s SONY made a couple of adapters so you could use their domestic range of cameras (which used the 14 pin K plug) with JVC recorders (which used the 10 pin J plug) and vice versa.

There were two adapters one from K socket to J plug and the other from J socket to K plug. They weren't just boxes with wire interconnects between the plugs and sockets. There was electronic gubbins inside to match audio levels and get round the fact that they used different VTR triggering methods. I can't remember the model numbers now, but the right one could give you a K socket. Other than that you're looking for a scrap Betamax machine.

The second-hand DXC-M3 is looking more and more attractive, especially as it appears your 6800 works. Do make sure you get an intact umbilical though. The 2000, 3000, 4000 cameras weren't that good anyway, being single tube 'Trinicon' - nick-named 'Lagicon' at the time.

Do you have plenty of tape stock? Old SONY and Ampex tapes can shed binder onto the tape path. You hear a dreadful squealing sound and then the machine grinds to a halt with all the warning lights flashing. Much cleaning of the tape path with isopropyl alcohol is required once that has happened, then a dustbin for the offending tape.

There was one stock fault on the 6800 I vaguely remember too.

It would FF and REW OK but the 'slack' light would come on in PLAY. There's a spring down near the capstan somewhere, that would come adrift at one end when the plastic post it was attached to broke. The post is easily identified as it's blue all the others are white.
Old 17th Dec 2009, 11:56 am   #11
Geoff 555
Heptode

Ian many thanks for your time and trouble. I will try the contacts for the plug, and search for a Betamax** machine. As regards the proper camera then yes I quite agree that would be fine But the cheapest I have found is or was £400.00 and then a gap to over a thousand pounds, which is well beyond me. I admit that I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible and something less than perfection is OK. It's a suck it and see thing, if there was a choice of spending hundreds on something or on a radio then the radio would win.
Tapes, yes I have some new still sealed and enough until up and running.
Thanks again for your help I will return and let you know how things progress.
Cheers.
Geoff.

** The good news is that I have owned a C7 for longer than I can remember, the bad news is that apart from belts and a couple of rewind kits it has been 100% reliable and still is.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 12:54 pm   #12
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

Geoff,

I've been digging through my old manuals - still can't find the one for the SL-C7 - however, I did locate the manual for an old JVC VHS machine (HR-7700) that had a 10 pin J plug for a camera. Your Panasonic G1E camera should have the same connections.

Pin 01 Video in/out
Pin 02 Video in/out (Gnd)
Pin 03 Running (Tally) indicator
Pin 04 Audio in/out (Gnd)
Pin 05 Audio in/out
Pin 06 Pause
Pin 07 Camera mic
Pin 08 Camera mic (Gnd)
Pin 09 Ground
Pin 10 +12v

The video and audio in/out would have been switched by the recorder sending pin 03 high or low depending on 'record' or 'play' state.

HTH.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 2:39 pm   #13
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

Success. Found the manual.

Sony 14 Pin K socket connections as follows:-

Pin 01 Video in
Pin 02 Video in (Gnd)
Pin 03 Video out
Pin 04 Video out (Gnd)
Pin 05 Camera start/stop
Pin 06 Tally
Pin 07 Blank
Pin 08 Blank
Pin 09 Audio in
Pin 10 Audio in (Gnd)
Pin 11 Audio out
Pin 12 Audio out (Gnd)
Pin 13 +12v
Pin 14 Ground
Old 26th Dec 2009, 2:51 pm   #14
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post

The good news is that I have owned a C7 for longer than I can remember, the bad news is that apart from belts and a couple of rewind kits it has been 100% reliable and still is.
I'm very glad that it has been so reliable, but can I suggest that you replace the two 4.7µF/400V capacitors in the power supply? They cause serious damage if they fail. Use 105º types.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 7:36 pm   #15
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Ian and Michael, gentlemen thank you so much for your kind replies and the time taken, after all it is Christmas, speaking of which I hope that you all had a Good Christmas, here's to a Happy New Year as well. This is most useful information.
Cheers, there will be more questions to follow, I will start a new thread as I have a feeling it will take some time to find a "K" socket.
All the very best to you.
Geoff.
Old 26th Dec 2009, 8:19 pm   #16
Geoff 555
Heptode

OOPS sorry Thank you for the tip about the caps in the C7 Michael, I am grateful for any and all information that may be passed on.
Fingers faster than brain and forgot to say thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread