UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:19 pm   #41
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

I'm trying to compile a list of known models with the sutiable tube. So far I've put this together. I know there are some others missing, such as some Philps K30, K35 & K40 set model numbers, but I'm not having luck finding specific model numbers online. If anyone knows of any more to add, or if there's any errors in the list,I'd appreciate any extra info. The more I know about, the easier it is for me to try and source a replacement. I'm planning on dropping these lists off around the local House Clearance outfits

Sanyo 5133
Amstrad CTV2200
Ferguson TX100 or other Ferguson TX 22” sets
Decca 130
Grundig CUC 22” models
Philips or Pye 22CS1002
Philips 22CS52744
Philips 22cs5755
Fisher FTM656

Last edited by Eidolon; 9th Mar 2020 at 1:24 pm. Reason: .
Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:19 pm   #42
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi. Found the K35, but need to find the tube base for the BK. Fingers crossed - I'll know tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:46 pm   #43
Maarten
Dekatron

Almost any Pye/Philips model after ~1980 starting with 22 would have such a tube. 22CS and 22CE for sure. Pye might have called them 56KS or 56KE, I think. Do note that 22CE models use a 2A chassis which seems relatively rare now and might be more worthwhile to restore than the K30.

Some Grundig 22" sets might use a 90 degrees Japanese tube though, so look carefully.
Old 9th Mar 2020, 5:00 pm   #44
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I tend to agree with HKS above - I'd suggest the house clearance get in touch with any wooden TV. There won't be many, other than those in an attic! Of course you might miss a TV22, but I imagine most house clearance firms would be well tuned into those.
Who knows, you might get something more interesting than a K30. And if it's not one you want, then I'm sure there will be someone on here who'll take it off your hands.
Old 11th Mar 2020, 12:54 pm   #45
Eidolon
Hexode

Any luck on that set you mentioned finding?
Old 11th Mar 2020, 1:25 pm   #46
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - and the tube, though not 100%, is certainly pretty good and, beaing in mind it hasn't been used for some years, should come better with use. The TV also will have the small coils in case they are missing. PM me if you're up for a journey!
Old 11th Mar 2020, 4:09 pm   #47
Eidolon
Hexode

I'll get back to you by PM a bit later. If i can transfer a working tube into my set, I'll be very happy

I do have another wooden Philips set in storage. It's a few years later down the line. Not sure of the model number, but it's got a digital tuner, scart and remote control. Has it's own issues, the horizontal- centre part of the screen doesn't stretch out properly, it's squished in the middle. It does open out a bit over time, but never fully. Always comes on with thr volume at full blast too. Not sure if it's saveable.
Old 11th Mar 2020, 9:40 pm   #48
simpsons
Octode

In Cradley Heath, there is a 22" Philips G11 on sale for £50 on ebay. It may not have the tube you need but in my humble opinion, the picture and sound quality will be hard to beat. Certainly, the picture shown on the advert is very good as is mine.

Chris
Old 13th Mar 2020, 12:00 pm   #49
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

No, that will be a 20AX CRT so no good for this set. Even if it would do, I'd be reluctant to scrap a good set like that.
My tube has your name on it!
Old 13th Mar 2020, 7:29 pm   #50
Eidolon
Hexode

Is there a link to the cradley heath one please? I can't find it.

I'll still pop up to get the tube from Wales. Just been a tad sidetracked again at the moment
Old 15th Mar 2020, 3:16 pm   #51
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just let me know when and I'm sure we can meet up - give me a few days' notice.
Old 15th Mar 2020, 9:41 pm   #52
Eidolon
Hexode

I won't be able to do it for a little while. I literally have one side of my house about to subside due to the earth under it being washed out by a burst water pipe. Dealing with the insurance company is a nightmare, every time someone comes out to look at it, all it seems to do is trigger someone else to come to look and I'm getting no closer to getting repairs done. All the while the floors in two of my rooms are slowly collapsing. I'm snowed under truing to deal with this
Old 16th Mar 2020, 6:01 pm   #53
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Don't worry - the set's going nowhere. You have more important things to deal with. Best of luck.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:00 pm   #54
Eidolon
Hexode

I've been absent frlm here a couple of weeks while other things have gotten on top of me.

But now it seems i have a rather odd new issue with the tv. Or maybe not. It could be the lead? Trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. Not technically a fault i guess.

I have finally received my new ZX Spectrum Next computer. I have set the Next to rgb pal output over the lead (scart socket at output) so it's suitable for all my tv's. On my hdtv it's fine. On the mid-nineties crt tv in the attic it's fine. But on the early 80's tv in my sitting room i get a black screen with faintly visible offset wording from the Next's boot screen. this has confounded me. The tv does not have a scart input, but i input a number of scart devices by different means to convert the signal to rf. I have tried everything with no luck. I've never encountered anything that works in this manner before. There's something about the signal from the Next that for some reason the TV can't understand properly. The black screen is proof there's something there, and if i set the Next to ntsc output it scrolls as you'd expect. But no picture.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:09 pm   #55
ronbryan
Octode

Have you tried using the VCR channel, Channel 12? This might be worth a go as sync time constants are different.

Ron
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:27 pm   #56
Eidolon
Hexode

Yes. Same results
Old 11th Apr 2020, 7:45 pm   #57
Eidolon
Hexode

I've done a few tests and now know that it's not the vcrs or scart switcher boxes. It's the Spectrum, it's dedicated cable or the tv.

The Spectrum only outputs via Scart in rgb mode, which the tv doesn't support. However I've put rgb through before from other sources, and it results in flickering not loss of image. Also, as the various machines that I've used input scart but output by rf or phono, i would have assumed that they'd convert the rgb to the chosen output format.
They all worked fine when connected to the newer tv in the attic, no loss of picture and sound then.
So somehow, whatever signal is travelling via the switchers isn't (or is barely) getting to the tv. :/
Old 12th Apr 2020, 1:34 am   #58
Clydeuk
Hexode

I suspect it is as suggested, most VCR's will not convert RGB to composite video. Try connecting to the newer TV's the same way as the old one i.e. via the VCR into the RF input. I suspect you will get the same results. The composite video pin of the SCART will probably be carrying the sync which might be responsible for the image you are seeing. Playing a DVD player or set top box via a VCR will be different because these devices will send composite video as well as RGB. It's been a long time since I've tried anything like this so I stand to be corrected if I'm mistaken.
Old 12th Apr 2020, 11:20 am   #59
Eidolon
Hexode

trying to figure a work around for this based on the hypothesis. I'll try plugging it into the attic tv via the vcr to convert the signal, thanks for the suggestion, it's a good test.

As it stands I need to find something that will left the rgb signal from the Next and convert it to RF. I do need a Scart to RF modulator anyway. Do these (or maybe some models of them), recognise the RGB and convert it? I'd expect most would just look for a composite signal, given the output method.
Old 12th Apr 2020, 4:50 pm   #60
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,

Hello Eidolon, basically you need to go through 2 steps : convert the computer's RGB output to PAL, then use a modulator to put the PAL composite signal to an RF channel.

To the best of my knowledge, no modulator encodes RGB + sync to RF directly.

one of our Radiofil forum members published an extensive listing of all modulators, transcoders, coders, etc. useful for analogue TV standards :

http://retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=254575

From the extensive listing, only these two, MIGHT fill your purpose, (translation) :

Transcoder, RVB to UHF modulator, TV standards K and G / H
CGV PHS 60 Export. Adapted for SECAM K and K' + PAL G/H (40 countries).
Thomson MS90-200. Coder + Modulator, PAL B/G/I for Thomson TO7 computer.
VHF and UHF channels.

These products were made in the 80s, therefore obsolete, so findable only on E-Bay or other second hand sales web sites.

Going the 2 way route, RGB to PAL then PAL to RF will give more choice. For example, PAL to RF modulators can be found today very easily & cheaply.

Other forum members can give you useful advice about finding an RGB + Sync to PAL encoder.

Hopes this helps....

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Closed Thread