UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2020, 1:58 pm   #81
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

It was a fairly quick job, nothing to that extent. I have a feeling he just 'boosted it to death' as has been said before.

I mentioned the possibility of boosting to the new Technician who will fit the replacement tube when circumstances permit me to collect it, to which he replied "Hi, if he has " boosted" it, it's the same as reactivating, clean/ balancing or rejuvenating it. If that has been done it was because it was low emission at one stage and won't last long. It will be a waste of your time, and mine. I am hoping that that doesn't mean he thinks the new tube won;t be of any use on account of the boosting.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 4:37 pm   #82
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If you're talking about the tube I have then it came from a TV that I saw working quite well several years ago when I sold the customer a new flat screen set. As far as I know it's never been boosted, and as it's a K35 is likely to be one of the much improved late production tubes.
When I mentioned the BK, it was just to test it, not do anything else to it, so don't worry.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:02 pm   #83
Eidolon
Hexode

so whatever boosting he did is limited to the tube itself, and it's safe to just fit the replacement without other tinkering in the set? That was only an issue if he'd shorted the coils? Thanks again.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 11:02 am   #84
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Well, it's very possible the coils have been shorted out. Let's have a photo of the CRT base panel, ideally the component side, but the print side will do if you don't want to remove it, also one of the main board to the immediate right of the square hole where the panel is. We should be able to tell if this has been done.
Old 14th Jun 2020, 12:04 pm   #85
Eidolon
Hexode

Will do when I can move it. Things still a bit piled up due to the repair work on the house at the moment, which is sitting stalled due to the Covid19 Lockdown.
Old 31st Jul 2020, 10:47 am   #86
Eidolon
Hexode

Just a heads up to say thanks to everyone regarding the help on this set and my various v2000 machines.
Due to ongoing serious issues with my house and my insurance company, after six months of messing me about, deciding to pull out of the cover with a pack of lies to lay blame for the problems with something else that the insurance doesn't cover, I am now up to my eyeballs trying to deal with this and have had to resort to the Ombudsman. The situation I'm left in is potentially life threatening, so its very serious and taking up most of my time at the moment. This is going to drag on for some time while the company try to wriggle out of this. I just don;t have the energy or time to pursue other things currently. When things are a bit more settled, and the work on the house is finally done, I'll pick up from where I left off, but until then I'm probably unlikely to drop by here other than a very rare few minutes. Thanks everyone, I will be back eventually.
Old 31st Jul 2020, 12:00 pm   #87
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If you do drop by please accept my sympathies - and remember there's a tube here for you when all you have to worry about is your old TV.
Old 31st Jul 2020, 3:05 pm   #88
toshiba tony
Heptode

I've jumped in late on this post, have we a duff crt? Plus what chassis is it? K30\35.
Old 1st Aug 2020, 11:26 am   #89
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - it's an early K30 with a very duff A56-540X. I have a resaonable one in a K35 which I've offered to the OP, but for reasons clear in the thread he's been unable to pick it up and make progress. There's also a side order of confusion with connecting equipment to it and also he's unsure how boosted the old CRT has been with the chokes being linked out or, worse, missing.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 12:08 pm   #90
Eidolon
Hexode

Just a quick pop by, mainly to jot something down before I forget. I had to pop out to the shop today to pick up a Scart coupler, and asked him about what he did to the set. He said 'nothing' :/
That of course contradicts everything. Anyway, he didn't short the coils. I'm pretty sure at the time he said 'boosted' anyway, and was turning things in the back of the set, although he did adjust the overscan as well,, which may have been responsible for that.
Regarding 'boosting', and what's been said here before, is the boosting level something that could be easily detected by looking inside the back of the set? Such a something up at a higher amount than normal? IF boosting is what's killing the tube, I'll need to find a way to turn it back off before the new tube is fitted. Thansk
Old 8th Aug 2020, 11:22 am   #91
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just take a photo of the CRT base and the area of the main circuit board to the right of the CRT's chassis cut out - component side in both cases. Post them, and it's likely we can tell if the coils are still there. I'm sure I can find replacements if they're missing.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 8:21 pm   #92
Eidolon
Hexode

This has turned up not far from me. Seems to be the same model of set, except that it says 1002 on the front below the channel buttons, which mine doesn't. I don;t know if that has any significance regarding internal differences?

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 20th Nov 2020 at 10:45 pm. Reason: Rules section C
Old 21st Nov 2020, 1:56 pm   #93
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

1002 is the model number - some have it on the front and some don't. You'd need to be sure the CRT is OK though. Does the TV work? If so, have a look at the picture. If you like it, then you could buy this TV and keep yours for spares.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:39 pm   #94
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
1002 is the model number - some have it on the front and some don't. You'd need to be sure the CRT is OK though. Does the TV work? If so, have a look at the picture. If you like it, then you could buy this TV and keep yours for spares.
The seller say the following-

-In fullscreen there is a very minor narrow light band at the bottom of the screen, which is not visible when used in conjunction with a digital to analogue set top box (see image of noisy signal and compare with TV signal image).

-The TV is able to produce it’s colour display to the screen BUT the manual tuner has difficulty in keeping the colour signal in sharp focus. I found it holds a sharp greyscale display easily but could not maintain a sharp colour signal. (See images). Someone competent in tuner issues should be able to sort this out.

Thanks for your message. I am no TV expert, but I have described the television in the best detail that I can.
As you can see from the photos, the black-and-white image is sharp and steady. The colour image is present and the colours all match up to the image but it is slightly fuzzy because I cannot get the tuner to lock in this picture and hold it steady. This leads me to believe that the issue is with the tuner. I would have thought that if there was a problem with the cathode-ray then either there would be no colour at all or the colours would not display properly. This is not the case. Therefore, I think that the issue is solely with the tuner, but I am not an expert. I hope that makes sense, please let me know if you have any other questions. Kind regards.

I've had my TV modded to make 4 of the channels video signal friendly. Mine is also cosmetically better. I'd probably be better transerring the tube to mine and keeping the 'new' one for it's parts. Looking at the pictures, I think he's right that it's the tuner on account of the fuzziness in his pictures, but I'm not sure about the bright band at the bottom of the screen that he mentions maybe being a problem?
Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:56 pm   #95
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If you do go down that route remember to remove any modifications that were done to boost your existing tube or else the replacement won't last long. The fact the TV apparently displays a good greyscale suggests the CRT is good and may well have been replaced in the set's lifetime.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 3:02 pm   #96
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
If you do go down that route remember to remove any modifications that were done to boost your existing tube or else the replacement won't last long. The fact the TV apparently displays a good greyscale suggests the CRT is good and may well have been replaced in the set's lifetime.
That's part of the concern I have here, I don;t know what to look for regarding the boosting. How to visually tell from the inside what he did. He denies boosting it, but I'm sure I recall him doing it, and it did get it running again properly for a short while before it started dying at a faster rate.

There's someone else not far from that seller who also has one in proper working condition, but wants £200 for it which is way too much. I've tried making him a more reasonable offer, but he's not interested in selling it cheaper.

Last edited by Eidolon; 21st Nov 2020 at 3:05 pm. Reason: .
Old 21st Nov 2020, 3:56 pm   #97
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If we'd have had a crystal ball we'd be pretty well off by now!
If you post photos of both sides of the CRT base on your TV then we'll soon know if the coils have been shorted out. If you do buy this TV then you could easily compare the two. Having looked at the listing the fault does appear to be tuner related. However I suspect we're skirting close to forum rules here so I think you'll need to report back as and when you've bought it, then we can resume discussion.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 10:01 pm   #98
Eidolon
Hexode

I decided to go for broke and offered him £45 for the set which he accepted. Anyway, now it's just a matter of waiting for the lockdown to end and then trying to arrange to collect it. It'll be nice to have a working one again. I want to keep the 'leftovers' for spares, but don't really have anywhere to put it.
I was supposed to have an outside storage unit this year, which was going to be insulated and powered, but thanks to all the problems with the house and Insurance company, it never happened. It could have gone in there safely. Oh well.
Old 6th Nov 2021, 5:17 pm   #99
paulsherwin

Thread reopened by request.
Old 6th Nov 2021, 6:13 pm   #100
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Thread reopened by request.
Thanks for that

Yay! I finally have my 'donor tv'. Looking quickly over it, compared to my own, there's a few minor differences, including a number stamped on the colour/brightness opening panel, and a 'made in Britain' sticker on the back.
But mainly, the 'donor set' is in a rather rough cosmetic state, with buttons much more worn down than on mine, and the wood all scratched and worn.

Considering that I can't get a straight answer from the person who originally 'fixed' my set on what he did, I am thinking about how best to try and do this so that the 'hybrid set' works properly when it's put together.

I need the tuner from mine, partially to replace the defective one in the donor set, and party because mine has been modded to have more video channels.
Is it possible to transplant the coils as well as the tube from the donor set into mine?

on a rather different note, I will be needing to have the 'not-so-good' bits rebuilt into a set and stored away in case I need any parts from it at some point. Unfortunately, the only storage option for me is a gap in a cold, and probably little damp, metal storage container. Is there a good way to package/wrap the set so that it's safe from moisture damage?

Thanks for the help
Closed Thread