UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2018, 2:01 am   #1
fatzappa
Retired Dormant Member

Angry Sony APM101ES speakers. Help needed.

My foam surrounds have been replaced. But the glue on the bottom lip on one of them is vibrating under the square whoofers cover...I sent to Russia for the replacement foams. Any suggestions how I can get the glue to the areas that never stuck as I do not want to damage the new foams and partially glued, it is hard to get the glue where needed.

Thanks with apprehension
fatzappa
Old 21st Aug 2018, 10:57 am   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Sony APM101ES speakers. Help needed.

I'm not sure what sort of glue you used originally but I'd recommend using a water based PVA for what you now want to achieve. It might be worth watering it down a little too. Carefully apply the glue under the edge of the foam with a fine artist's brush. Within reason don't be afraid of using too much glue and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. As the glue starts to get tacky apply gentle pressure with the cloth. Do a bit at a time.

In an ideal world you'd remove the surround and start again but that's tricky and success would very much depend on the glue you used to start with.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

Alan
Old 21st Aug 2018, 11:17 am   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I'd second Alan's suggestions. Stating the obvious, but if you do the job in stages make sure not to let the glue set in the paintbrush, unless you have a large supply of brushes.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 6:31 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Glue applied to right angled folded bit of card might do the job, it should slide under the un-stuck section.

Andy.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 7:54 am   #5
percival007
Heptode

Syringe? Possibly with a flexible nozzle.

James.
Closed Thread