UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2018, 11:06 am   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Viewing new thread.

One thing I've always noticed with the forum is if I click on a thread I've not noticed or read before, it often takes me to some random point in the thread rather than the first post; sometimes it's several pages deep into the thread and I have to click on the page number to get me back to the beginning.

Is this a quirk, or something not set right at my end?
Old 29th May 2018, 11:50 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Viewing new thread.

If you click on the link it will take you to the start of the thread; if you click on the small icon to the left of it it will take you to the first post in the thread that (the forum software thinks) you haven't read. It's easy to click on the wrong link, especially using a tablet or phone.

That said, there are certainly a few inconsistencies in the way the forum handles such things.
Old 29th May 2018, 2:17 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If, like I do, you use the "Mark Forums Read" function for threads you don't wish to read, all threads will be deemed to have been read to the point at which this function was used. If the thread that you've not noticed had already been started, subsequent access using the arrow icon will start you at the next post after the point at which it was marked as read, even though you hadn't actually looked at it previously.
Old 29th May 2018, 2:20 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I have found that the web has been a little bit glitchy over the past month or so so that there is occasionally a delay of a second or so before a thread fully opens.
Sometimes the first post of the page in a thread flashes up for a fraction of a second before it moves onto the message pointer that has been saved/updated as a cookie.
It varies depending on the hosting company the forum in question uses.
Closed Thread