UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2018, 9:44 pm   #1
poppydog
Banned

Default Upside down pictures

Why is it that every so often when I am attaching pictures to a post some of them (sometimes it could be only one of five) end up either sideways or up upside down? They are all the right way round on my computer.

I have tried removing, turning and attaching again but they still end up the wrong way round.

This is starting to get annoying.

Poppydog
Old 16th Aug 2018, 10:45 pm   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: upside down pictures

'Operator j' strikes again (*sigh*) I've always put it down to the upload process being "modified" by my too-damn-smart-for-its-own-good phone and just put up with it as a 'feature'
Guy
Old 16th Aug 2018, 10:50 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

A product of using a phone rather than a PC.

iPhones seem particularly bad I don't seem to get the problem on any of my (4) Android devices (two tablets two phones) but that might be down to luck

Cheers

Mike T
Old 16th Aug 2018, 11:16 pm   #4
poppydog
Banned

The pictures were taken with an android device, saved to a memory card and then transferred to my laptop. It sends email pics absolutely fine, just turns them on here, but nevermind rather than get myself worked up over it I will just have to describe my problems using text only.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 12:42 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Upside down pictures

Try opening them in a graphics editor, rotating if necessary, optionally resizing (if you think your software will do a better job than the forum software) and exporting as a .jpg with a different filename.

There is an "orientation" setting embedded in the jpeg header data, which sometimes gets set incorrectly. Re-saving the picture will reset the orientation.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 1:31 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

If you open the photo and resize it to 800X600 and the correct way up then save it the forum software should not make any changes.
If a photo is over 800X600 the forum software will make changes and if the file is large it will also take longer to upload in addition to the time the forum software takes.
With a desktop computer there is rarely any problems but editing before uploading means you get to see what you get on the forum.
Cropping the edges down works like a digital zoom if it is done before resizing.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 9:17 am   #7
Station X

Dare I say that I never have this problem? I crop images as necessary using Windows Photo Gallery and then upload them FULL SIZE from a PC. The forum software then does the rest. I do have fast broadband though which some of you may not.

If the mods spot what looks like a wrongly orientated image they will often rotate it, generally by 90 degrees. I don't recollect seeing many upside down images requiring 180 degree rotation.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 12:01 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The forum software tries to read the EXIF headers in the image and rotate it correctly, but it doesn't always get it right. There is some inconsistencies in these headers, especially from Apple devices.

Ideally open and save it in photo editing software such as Paint before uploading. You can also crop and tweak if necessary to improve it, which could be useful. If you have a slower connection it would be worth resizing to suit the forum too, though it will resize the images when uploaded if necessary.

As Graham says, we will correct any we spot. If the ones you have added to a post need rotating and you can't sort it out yourself please repost the post by clicking the red triangle and ask us to help.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Aug 2018, 4:48 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

I use an actual camera to take pictures for use on the forum and I usually have it set to its lowest resolution setting for very quick uploading, unless I forget, or have taken the pictures at a higher setting for use elsewhere. I've found that since using Windows 10, that any pictures taken in 'portrait' rather than the usual 'landscape' will end up being displayed on their side. I used to get round this by firing up an old computer running Windows XP, where these 'portrait' orientated pictures would upload and display correctly. I've since noticed that the initial 'thumbnail' loaded as 'portrait' with Windows 10 is correct, but goes on its side when clicked to enlarge. However, if the imagege is then clicked again to enlarge in a new window or tab, or right clicked from the thumbnail to open in a new window or tab, the image displays in portrait and in the correct orientation, so I don't bother too much now as I presume that members viewing the image will open it via this method. A recent example of this was the first picture in a group of five in post #26 in the "Show us your drills" thread, which I took in 'portrait' orientation with the camera on its side - thread linked to below:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=148750&page=2
Old 17th Aug 2018, 5:39 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Camera (including phone cameras) are more likely to get the orientation wrong when pointing downwards which is understandable with how the sensors would work.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:34 pm   #11
poppydog
Banned

Reading Techman's post and looking at what he said regarding his "show us your drills" pics is it possible when I attached my pictures then previewed post, the previewed post showed my pictures to be incorrectly orientated but if I posted they would be the right way??

I'm not doing or using anything any different than I have always done. This problem first occurred in my now abandoned Akkord thread.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:45 pm   #12
Station X

If you use preview it's a case of What You See Is What You'll Get, thumbnail wise.

However as Techman states, some images get rotated when enlarged for example the first picture in this post:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=26

I don't know whether this is a function of the forums or your browser.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:55 pm   #13
poppydog
Banned

I will try to put another couple of pics on later and see what happens
Closed Thread