UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2018, 9:39 am   #21
Station X

Default Re: Acknowledging replies in 'Repair & restoratiion sections

Not so long ago there were complaints that the forum rules, which had evolved over several years, were too long and complicated. As a result they were shortened and simplified.

Rule G6 covers the situation raised in this thread:-

Quote:
Some forum sections contain "sticky" threads which contain advice and guidance applicable to that section only. Members are expected to follow such advice.
The rules get broken all the time, sometimes accidently, and sometimes deliberately often by long term members who should know better. The mods simply delete or don't approve such posts and that's that. The infraction system was abandoned years ago because of the ill feeling it generated.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th May 2018, 9:53 am   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Acknowledging replies in 'Repair & restoration sections

G6 as well.

Lawrence.
Old 28th May 2018, 9:55 am   #23
Station X

Yes. I changed G8 to G6 before you posted.

Old 28th May 2018, 9:56 am   #24
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

At the risk of perpetuating this discussion, I have had posts to threads other than Repair & Restoration disappear. The most recent was rather frivolous, but nevertheless I found it irritating that it had disappeared. But in a handful of other, and if I recall subject relevant, posts of mine which have actually fleetingly appeared and then were deleted.

Like Ancient Greek the thing that was singularly irritating was absolutely no feedback, even a proforma one, about why these posts had appeared and then vanished.

Now I guess I could PM a mod every time this happens - but that does not help what must already be an onerous task.

I speak with some experience - I was mod of a Jaguar cars list, specifically of the old XJ model. There were several thousand worldwide list members for that model alone, including quite a number of vendors (including Jaguar). And it was a really active, and often ill-tempered list. To control things I implemented a warning, second warning, sin-bin for a week, and then outright ban for repeat offenders. It was complicated when a list member trashed a vendor, and there followed threats of legal action against the moderator!

I threw in the towel eventually - it was just too much work controlling the list, and too much worry from litigious (and usually US) vendors.

Craig
Old 28th May 2018, 10:14 am   #25
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Acknowledging replies in 'Repair & restoratiion sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Some forum sections contain "sticky" threads which contain advice and guidance applicable to that section only. Members are expected to follow such advice.
Advice: guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent action.
Guidance: advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty, especially as given by someone in authority.

...contrast with:

Rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity.

I will ask, therefore that as a very minimum rule G6 be amended to read:
"Some forum sections contain "sticky" threads which contain advice, guidance and additional rules applicable to that section only. Members are expected to follow such advice and rules."
Old 28th May 2018, 11:39 am   #26
Station X

All discussion of this subject is at an end.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread