UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2012, 4:05 pm   #1
gillespie
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Dansette conquest auto

Hi.

I have just purchesed a Dansette Conquest Auto for my daughter and have a friend taking care of all the electrical side. I want to find out about the covering. The fabric is pale aqua and pale greyish that has a linen look to it. I have read on this site about stripping it off and sanding off the old adhesive (not attempted yet )but where can I source new material. Rexine is mentioned a lot but the suppliers have a minimum amount sale far exceeding my purposes. My daughter is talking about using funky wallpaper, sticky back plastic etc.

Help please.
Old 4th Jul 2012, 5:09 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dansette conquest auto

Have a word with Sid Chaplin who most members reply upon for that sort of thing. Note Sid has no website, just email and telephone contact.

I wouldn't go down the funky wallpaper or sticky back plastic routes; if you did and ever wanted to resell the Dansette you'd find you've destroyed its value.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 8:40 am   #3
gillespie
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you do much. I will take your advice and phone Sid today.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 9:55 am   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi, as Darren says if you recover the Dansette you risk wiping out its value as far as a collector is concerned. Original Dansettes, love em or hate em, are starting to fetch serous money if overhauled and refurbished properly.
I would only recover it if the original rexine is completely beyond it, does it matter if it has a few marks? To me a bit of "patina" is all part of its history. You wouldn't take a sander to an antique table would you?

That said if there is no option but to recover, providing you do a good job of it and stick to an original (ish) colour combination it should look good.
Any chance of some pictures?

Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 5th Jul 2012 at 9:56 am. Reason: missed word
Closed Thread