UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2006, 9:05 pm   #1
taipai_royal
Pentode

Default Veneer Bulges

Hi guys, whats the best method to treat veneer bulge in a radio cabinet?
Regards Graham.
Old 12th Apr 2006, 5:36 pm   #2
PWH
Heptode

Default Re: Veneer Bulge

If it is an air bubble, use an iron with a wet teacloth over the veneer to reheat and soften the glue. Then hold it in a vice beween bits of ply until the glue cools and sets

Usually works for me!
Old 12th Apr 2006, 6:44 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Peter is right, of course, but do bear in mind the likelihood of damage to the surface finish. This may not matter if you are refinishing anyway, but if not, you might like to think about gently slitting along the grain of the veneer over the blister with a razor blade, feeding some suitable adhesive under then clamping as per Peter's method until set. Unfortunately there's no guarantees
-Tony
Old 17th Apr 2006, 10:12 pm   #4
taipai_royal
Pentode

Thanks for your help Peter and Tony. The cabinet will have to be refinished, so I will give it ago with the iron method first. Keep your fingers crossed.
Regards Graham.
Old 19th Apr 2006, 3:57 pm   #5
Ghostuser
Pentode

I had lots of bulges and cracks in the veneer of a cabinet. I used a fine hypodermic syringe to run super glue under each bulge and then pressed the bulge flat, using a piece of clear polythene under my thumb to avoid the latter becoming glued to the job. You will need more than one needle as they will get blocked.
Good luck whatever you try.
Regards
Nigel
Old 20th Apr 2006, 4:01 am   #6
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Graham

Using a needle is a good idea even if you don't add glue. Air will be trapped in the bubble. A hole made with the needle will release air when veneer is flattened. Without doing this you could end up with a bunch of smaller bubbles.

Norm
Closed Thread