UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2011, 4:56 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default HMV Cavendish fan heater

I have been after one of these for a while now, ever since my very battered Cavendish bit the dust due to broken elements years ago.

I was over the moon to pick up this near mint example at a car boot sale. When I got it home, I noticed something rattling around under the bottom cover, on taking it off the two spare safety links and envelope fell out! I repaired the envelope, with the links safely back inside and glued it to the inside of the bottom cover.

The wiring and mains cable are as new, even down to the original MK plug, complete with switch!

On checking the internals, I was amazed at the condition overall. The elements are perfect and are nothing like the crumbling remains of my last one, even the bulb looks to be the original.

The fan also looks like new and the motor spins very freely, although I did give it a drop of oil (I could not wait until the 1st of January!).

It works very well, looks great with the red glow through the vents and is so quiet compared to the modern one in my workshop. I am sure it has seen very little use in its life.

For a change, there was nothing to do other than blow a bit of dust out and give it a polish with a duster.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cav1.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	59082   Click image for larger version

Name:	cav2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	59083   Click image for larger version

Name:	cav3.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	59084   Click image for larger version

Name:	cav4.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	59085   Click image for larger version

Name:	cav5.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	59086  

Old 25th Nov 2011, 5:16 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Cavendish fan heater

Nice! These are good heaters.

It would be worth taking it to your nearest HMV shop, and asking if you can buy a few spare links, just to see how they respond...
Old 25th Nov 2011, 5:34 pm   #3
richrussell
Heptode

Mine's starting to get some use in my garage now in actual heater mode (rather than just as as fan).

It's very important that you don't forget to oil the motor on 1st January. Who knows what'll happen with you having oiled it before then.
Old 25th Nov 2011, 8:14 pm   #4
Stubble
Pentode

I have one and would not part with it, yours is a very lucky find and mint condition too.
Old 25th Nov 2011, 11:10 pm   #5
neil29
Heptode

Am i going mad? as i thought i posted a reply to this thread earlier but it seems to have disappeared?. cheers neil.
Old 26th Nov 2011, 9:52 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I can imagine the bells at midnight and after the clink of champagne glasses, some dink reminds everyone to oil the motor in their HMV fan heaters.....J.
Old 26th Nov 2011, 9:58 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've two of 'em now; the later one is badged Murphy but I think I'll restore it over Xmas and the motor can be oiled on New Year's Day.

I will have to ensure I don't pour myself a glass of 3-in-1.
Old 27th Nov 2011, 11:19 am   #8
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I've two of 'em now; the later one is badged Murphy
That is strange, I thought HMV was an EMI brand, whereas murphy (at the time) an independent company? Does anyone know when these were first introduced? I am sure it was late forties.

I have noticed a major difference in these, on my example, the rear panel has louvres. I have seen others with a plain back, this must of had a problem with air flow.

Quote:
I can imagine the bells at midnight and after the clink of champagne glasses, some dink reminds everyone to oil the motor in their HMV fan heaters.....J.
That is why I did mine early, I don't think I will be in a fit state to be let loose with an oil can on the 1st January

Mark
Old 27th Nov 2011, 1:33 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Mark,

The louvred back is a from a later model. I believe these heaters were introduced in around 1949 and I have a feeling they had a long production run, possibly into the early 70's?

David
Old 27th Nov 2011, 10:19 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They were marketed covering a large number of makers names.J.
Closed Thread