UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2011, 10:12 pm   #1
supermaticjames
Retired Dormant Member

Default Morphy Richards CA-75 Iron Problem

Hi all, new here.

I got this lovely primrose Morphy Richards Senior iron to accompany my twin tubs and washers recently, but it doesn't seem to be working now. It worked once for me. Replaced the flex, still no joy. I think the bulb is fused so I took it out then unfortunately lost it (tiny thing). Where can I find one like it again? Could it be the plug fuse also? I don't know where to start so I'm hoping you lot can help. It is in great shape.

James.
Old 27th Sep 2011, 11:02 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Morphy Richards CA-75 Iron Problem

Hi James,

Quote:
it doesn't seem to be working now
Doesn't seem to be? well, it either is or it isn't so I think we'll assume it isn't!

Anyway, presumably you don't have a multimeter? Why did you change the flex? was it in dangerous condition and/or physically damaged? You also asked if it could be the plug fuse; well only you can tell us if the fuse has blown. With a multimeter you can check the fuse, wiring continuity and all manner of things without the need to plug the iron in.

The lamp was described by MR as being a "Special safety lamp", or words to that effect. All it was in reality was a pilot lamp to indicate when the heating element was receiving power, in other words it indicated when the thermostat contacts were closed. I don't know, however, how it was connected; IIRC it was nothing more than an ordinary touch bulb painted green so there would've been an arrangement with regard to voltage. Safety wasn't such an issue then as it is now but, even so, I'd expect the lamp to be wired in such a way that when it fails the iron dies.

So without a meter, all you can really do is check the thermostat by ear - iron unplugged of course. When you operate the control, can you hear a weak click as the thermostat cuts in and out? With the iron cold the click, if present, will occur very close to the lowest heat setting. If you can hear a click then the thermostat is probably ok.

Regarding the fuse, if you've no meter then test it by fitting it temporarily into the plug of another appliance.

With a meter you can, as stated earlier, quickly test the fuse and check the whole circuit by connecting the meter across the L and N plug pins and watching for a reading as you operate the thermostat control. I would also advise you to check the earthing.

Also with a meter, you could by shunting the terminals of the lamp holder also find out if a failed lamp does indeed kill the iron completely. You should be able to work that out just by a visual examination though.

So in summary we have:

a) a failed lamp killing the whole iron.

b) a failed thermostat.

c) a blown plug fuse BUT if it is that, you need to determine why it's blown.

d) worse case scenario, a failed heater element.

One further point, these irons contain asbestos so think twice about opening the iron up to the extent whereby the asbestos is exposed.

That's about all I can say. Other members have old domestic appliances, including irons, so hopefully they'll be able to advise you better than I can. Meantime, keep hunting for that lamp - it's there somewhere.
Old 28th Sep 2011, 12:05 am   #3
teetoon
Heptode

Hi, there is a thread with regard to this iron from june this year (2011). In post No 4 Denis described how the pilot lamp is connected. Sorry I don't know how to do links but it's title was "rewiring a morphy richards CA 75 iron" .
David.
Old 28th Sep 2011, 12:12 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Here it is. I somehow overlooked it earlier .
Old 28th Sep 2011, 1:58 am   #5
mickash
Hexode

Hi James,

It is more than likely to be the element that has gone but you really do need a multimeter to check this easily.

Michael.
Old 28th Sep 2011, 1:12 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

You could check continuity of the element using a "lamp limiter" (basically an incandescent GLS lamp in series with the ac supply) as used for initial powering up of old valve radios.

http://www.vintage-radio.com/projects/lamp-limiter.html

If the element is OK (and all the rest of the parts in series with it- thermostat, fuse, wiring, pilot light sense coil etc) it should light up pretty much at full brilliance when it's all turned on.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jan 2012, 4:09 pm   #7
aclarkson
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermaticjames View Post
Hi all, new here.

I got this lovely primrose Morphy Richards Senior iron to accompany my twin tubs and washers recently, but it doesn't seem to be working now. It worked once for me. Replaced the flex, still no joy. I think the bulb is fused so I took it out then unfortunately lost it (tiny thing). Where can I find one like it again? Could it be the plug fuse also? I don't know where to start so I'm hoping you lot can help. It is in great shape.

James.
Hi, just seen your quote regarding Morphy Richards Senior iron from last year. I've only just joined up as I've recently found the exact same iron when clearing out my Grandma's house after her untimely death just before Christmas. It is in perfect condition, as a matter of fact the iron plate is in better condition than the iron I use. It's box is in perfect condition and I wondered if you were after another one, just let me know.

Mandy
Old 17th Jan 2012, 5:21 pm   #8
Station X

Hello Mandy and welcome to the forums. James hasn't logged into the forums since 29 September last year. You could try sending him a Private Message (PM) by clicking on his username to the left of his post.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread