UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2018, 3:28 am   #61
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Black Box Restoration

The spring in the 3rd photo above looks slack. This should be re-formed to give the desired 5 grams. I would not recommend any lighter tracking than that in the UA8 tone arm.
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 6:23 pm   #62
awc
Retired Dormant Member

I have recent experience of refurbishing various 1950/60's turntables, the most common being the BSR UA8. I have found that for what looks like a an antiquated deck, that the arm will tolerate the new "red" cartridges very well and usually also gives a good account of itself with stereo players.

The best tracking weight for these decks is a compromise between the lightest feasible tracking weight against secure tracking and good auto trip operation. The tracking weight mentioned of 7.5 grams is not too bad in this respect, and I wouldn't myself try to go much below 6.5/ 7 grams anyway for the reasons mentioned above. The "red" cartridges appear to be quite happy playing at this weight.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 6:00 pm   #63
OldTechFan96
Octode

Yesterday I was busy trying to adjust the tracking weight using a some suitable springs that I found in my spares tin.

I was able to adjust the tracking weight to 5g but it tracked poorly so I decided to refit the original spring. I'm happy for the UA8 to track at 7.5g as it was built to track at about this weight. The cartridge copes without any trouble.

Next on my to do list is some more cabinet work. The front of the BBH has some black and white scuffs that don't want to come off. Also it has what seems to be marks left by droplets of something.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 7:27 pm   #64
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

With Wet'n'Dry paper, and patience, these Sapele Mahogany venerered cabinets can come up very well. I saw them made at Cabinet Industries just off the A10.