UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2016, 3:04 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Two Variacs - Claude Lyons 8A, Slidup 5A

Well, two dead Variacs made it onto the bench today.

The Lyons one used to work, but then started arcing and only worked over a narrow range of outputs in mid-range.

At first I had a vague memory of dropping it, and thought the coil had shifted downwards relative to the brushes - the coil sits in a kind of cradle and can be shimmed up towards the brushes (see pic). Moving it up a bit restored operation over the whole range, but with lots of arcing and smoke - I switched it off quick!

It turned out that what I thought were brushes were in fact metallic brush holders. The brushes themselves are tiny, and were scrubbed away to nothing. So I made two more from some dead angle grinder brushes - and now it all works nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230039small.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	123284   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230043small.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	123285   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230047small.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	123286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230048small.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	123287  
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 3:08 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Two Variacs - Claude Lyons 8A, Slidup 5A

The 'Slidup' 5a variac came with the big pile of stuff which I've been selling for charity - and seemed unhappy. The knob went round and round, and it sounded like there were loose wires inside.

Having taken the top off, it seems both wires leaving the coil have snapped, though with long ends which can be re-attached. Also the end-stop which should be there, isn't - the thing is made of a kind of black Bakelite and is all rather brittle.

So I've made a new stop from Milliput epoxy putty, and we'll see what happens when it goes off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230049small.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	123288   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230050small.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	123289   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230052small.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	123290   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230054small.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	123291  
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 3:25 pm   #3
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Did you investigate the anistropy of resistance of the carbon at all? I have always understood that variac brushes were made of material with an especially high resistance along the axis tangential to the core, to minimise circulating current in the shorted turns. How true or important this is I have never got around to investigating by experiment.
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 3:44 pm   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

The remnants were so small, I didn't attempt it. The brush dimensions seem to have been chosen to address the problem you mention - they are only about as thick as the wire used for the winding - so at most you'd have two adjacent shorted turns.

One of the 'new ones' snapped almost straight away - the carbon is pretty soft. Luckily the bit that broke off was long enough to re-install, and being shorter there is less of a bending moment acting on it as one rotates the wheel. I would guess it's not worth making these with more than a couple of mm poking out of the holder.

I have a big lump of what looks like graphite rod - 2" dia by 8" long. I wonder if this would work for home-made brushes.
Old 24th Apr 2016, 2:00 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

Well, the 5A Japanese variac works too. It's nowhere near as nicely engineered as the Lyons unit, which appears designed to go into battle - on this one the bakelite tabs which 'hold' the coil have snapped, and it seems free to vibrate - it certainly makes a fair row at 100Hz when plugged in. But, it works. I must now read up a little on auto-transformers and convince myself I understand _how_ it works
Old 24th Apr 2016, 2:45 pm   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I thought that a Variac brush consists of two pieces of carbon glued together to give the anisotropy mentioned. I made a brush for a 1A Variac from a 6B pencil, it seems to work OK at very low currents.

I understood that the winding is machined flat on the conducting face and then hard gold plated. Not something to be damaged if it can be avoided.
Old 24th Apr 2016, 7:58 pm   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Did you investigate the anistropy of resistance of the carbon at all? I have always understood that variac brushes were made of material with an especially high resistance along the axis tangential to the core, to minimise circulating current in the shorted turns. How true or important this is I have never got around to investigating by experiment.
I suspect that I'm being denser than usual, but I can't see how it would help. For simplicity, consider a brush as being composed of two insulated 'slices', each contacting one of two adjacent turns. Certainly, the turns would not be directly shorted, but surely the short-circuit would simply 'move up' to the common connection (at the brush-holder or wherever).
What am I missing here?
Old 26th Apr 2016, 2:01 pm   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

That seems to make sense to me. Which is good, in the absence of a counter argument, since it makes my bodge feel less bodgy!
Old 26th Apr 2016, 4:23 pm   #9
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
the turns would not be directly shorted, but surely the short-circuit would simply 'move up' to the common connection
Relative to typical load resistances, the resistance along the length of the brush is trivial, but against the EMF of only the bridged turns it limits the current significantly. The laminated or anisotropic brush construction avoids a very short effective path through the brush little more than the turn pitch, that would otherwise occur. I.e. it makes the short longer!
Old 29th Apr 2016, 4:52 pm   #10
backflipper
Tetrode

Does anyone have any advice on reterminating the winding if it has gone open to the terminal? I have one that is open but the windings cannot be soldered on to the terminal.

I think they welded them in..
Old 29th Apr 2016, 5:29 pm   #11
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Could you Silver solder an new connection.
Old 29th Apr 2016, 8:50 pm   #12
mark_in_manc
Octode

Can you adapt the terminal so that the connection to the end of the winding is mechanical - clamp or screw it on, in other words.
Closed Thread