UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2016, 8:15 am   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Exchange Line Simulator problems

I am looking for advice or help. Circuit would be nice, but not sure if that's likely. I use this a lot, bought in the early 90s I think, we used to repair lots of cheap horrid answerphones. Now used with vintage phones.

It all works, except, there is no ringer voltage. I used to hear a relay clicking with the ring cadence, not anymore. The display is still showing it's ringing, also I can\did feel the ring voltage on the PCB around the coils.

Any advice, information or someone who can take a look at it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7025.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	124187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7026.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	124188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7028.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	124189  
Old 12th May 2016, 9:59 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Exchange Line Simulator problems

It's probably worth checking those relays. Could be an open circuit coil, which you can prove with an ohm meter, or possibly the reverse blocking diode across the coil gone short circuit, or maybe a dry joint or relay driver transistor u/s. Start with the most obvious things first. Are the batteries in the battery pack still serviceable? If it's anything more complicated than that it could be very tricky to find, I can see a lot of ICs in there.
Alan.
Old 13th May 2016, 9:52 am   #3
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Hi Alan, I was going to have another go, problem must be in a small area, not sure which relay is the ringer, but see if there is voltage on and off in line with the ring cadence. Put my patience cap on. There are a lot of ICs, but will have another go, ring voltage still there, I could feel it.

Thanks, Alan.
Old 13th May 2016, 7:10 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I built a simple phone line simulator to quickly test phones at work. It produces line voltage, ringer voltage and tones but not dial tone. It decodes DTMF and has a level meter to check the phone mic sensitivity. It wasn't that hard to build so if all else fails you could maybe build your own, depending on how in depth your testing has to be.
Alan.
Old 15th May 2016, 11:28 am   #5
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Sounds interesting, by the ringer not working on this it's not checking the REN level so you can ascertain if any mods are required. As soon as the bench is clear I will look at mine again. I do have a 4 way exchange which I uses to demonstrate phones, so do have the ability to ring a phone easily.
Closed Thread