UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2006, 6:34 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Valve Identification & Restoration Advice of Circa 1931 Mains Radio

Recently other forum members have kindly tried to help me identify a mystery mains radio from circa 1931 which I recently bought. The thread about the identification can be found here as well as a picture of the set:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=10335

I have since been able to sit down and have a look at the set, it's not been that easy as I'm not sure what make/model it is, but it's a pretty basic set with the following valve line-up (corrected from the other thread)

1 X Unidentified Metalised Valve with screw-top cap and 5-pin base.

1 X MM4V

1 X PM24M

1 X U10

Firstly can anyone suggest what this unidentified valve is most likely to be please?

Secondly, I have changed the 4 condensers which had not been previously been changed, the set powers up, the amplifier works brilliantly, when touching the gram sockets there is a very healthy hum. TYhe other condensers look to have been changed in recent years and seem fine.

When switching to medium or long wave though and using your finger as an aerial it picks up a couple of stations on medium wave, reasonably clearly but without a great deal of volume, using a loft aerial for some odd reason seems to result in a quieter signal than using my finger!

I am wondering if I should be looking at replacing the MM4V and/or the other unidentified 5-pin valve which, at the moment, is unidentified, or would anyone suggest another avenue here? The set has been fitted with a brand new PM24M and this works brilliantly as far as the amplifier is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,

Peter.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:06 pm.
Old 8th Aug 2006, 10:25 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve Identification & Restoration Advice of Circa 1931 Mains Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
1 X Unidentified Metalised Valve with screw-top cap and 5-pin base.

1 X MM4V

1 X PM24M

1 X U10

Firstly can anyone suggest what this unidentified valve is most likely to be please?

Hi Peter.

The unidentified valve could be an S4VB...I have a Philips set from 1933 with an almost identcal valve line-up.

With regard to your sensitivity problem...well it could be low emission valves but I think it might be worth checking aerial coupling capacitors and alignment

I changed the S4VB in my set which made a slight difference but realignment made an amazing difference.

Rich
Old 9th Aug 2006, 10:18 am   #3
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the suggestion Rich, that sounds like a good valve to try.

I agree about alignment, the only problem is aligning a set without any service data is difficult.

I have already changed the condensers, the only ones I have left alone were a couple of original mica ones, would you advise changing these too?

Would you imagine that an S4VB would work in this set? If so I'll order one of those and then go from there. I'll then try and work out how to go about the alignment of the set. It is difficult working on any set without any service data, but I'll give it a go, any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 9th Aug 2006, 12:25 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Peter, if this is a band pass front end, look at the bottom coupling capacitor between the 2 sections, variations here or leakage can reduce sensitivity drastically.

Ed
Old 9th Aug 2006, 5:03 pm   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the tip Ed, would this be a mica cap? I have changed all of the original wax/paper caps, so it's only the mica ones left.

Peter.
Old 10th Aug 2006, 9:17 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Peter, yes it will probably be mica and is usually under 100pF.

Ed
Old 12th Aug 2006, 8:52 am   #7
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks Ed, I'll have a look.
Old 12th Aug 2006, 9:55 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

I have an early 30's TRF I restored which I came to the conclusion must have been a kit despite a good quality case and well built chassis. Maybe yours is too?

Trouble is you never know whether it ever worked properly. Mine uses a 354V as the detector which had the wrong anode load. I had to rewind one of the coils and it used twisted wire as a coupling which was absolutely hopeless.

There's no avoiding it, you'll need to get out the pen & paper and draw up the circuit diagram...Peter
Old 12th Aug 2006, 11:41 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Would you imagine that an S4VB would work in this set? If so I'll order one of those and then go from there.

Yes! Wouldn't have suggested it otherwise!!

There are other similar valves that would work I suppose (the MS4B for example) and as far as I am aware, they all have the same pin arrangement. The S4VB is getting difficult to obtain. The only one I had was a NOS and that is currently in use in my Philips 274A.

Rich.
Old 13th Aug 2006, 6:12 pm   #10
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Makes sense

I'll give it a bash, thank you.
Closed Thread