UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:05 pm   #1
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker RP25 hole in cabinet

Having cleaned and sorted my RP25, I have now the issue of 2 non original holes in the side.
In the past, the volume pot/switch had given up and someone replaced it with a unit mounted towards the centre bottom of the side.
This has now left 2 holes (1 for shaft, the other to stop the switch rotating). One I shall disguise by fitting a period dc socket and so neatly sorts that out. The other I am a bit stuck with what to do with?
I have some spare blue rexine of the same shade but have no idea of how to make the repair blend in. Of course it will be noticeable but has to look better than a 4mm hole!
Any ideas please?

Rob
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:11 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker RP25 hole in cabinet

Personally, I'd just fill the hole with wood filler then paint it to match as best you can.

Alternatively, use something like the lid of a stainless steel fountain pen as a punch, to cut out a disk from your new Rexine, then use the same technique to remove a disk from the Hacker's Rexine centred on the unwanted hole. Fill the hole with wood filler, then glue the disk of new Rexine on top. Probably easier said than done though.

Nick.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:29 pm   #3
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Nick, my wife tells me that she has some cosmetic wax for face painting that is a similar shade so that or paint will have to do.

Rob
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:33 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

Yes, someone had done the same to a VHF Herald I bought. The hole in the side was not problem, and I did the same as you, but they'd also mounted a lamp on the front panel. To fill that, I did as Nick suggests, using a scalpel to make the cuts. It worked quite well.

In your case, I suspect the problem will be making the wood as flat as the surrounding - given that you can't remove the Rexine from the area of the hole. Actually, if the case is birch, you might get away with that...

How near is the smaller hole? The Hacker sets used an aluminium escutcheon that is about 30mm in diameter - would that cover it? I scanned one in from a Hunter, and printed it on card before pasting it to the side of the set. Not to cover any other holes in my case - I just thought it was a nice touch.

Alternatively, might a discrete LED might do the job?

There's an eBay seller that occasionally sells complete carcasses for sensible money - less than £10 - might be worth keeping an eye out. Might feel like cheating, but it's merely an extension of Howard's technique

All the best,

Mark
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:50 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
a discrete LED
or even a discreet LED in this case
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:00 pm   #6
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mark, 30mm may just do the trick. I have a Roberts one somewhere but I think it is labelled 9V so not a lot of use.
An LED might be annother alternative, maybe with a chrome bezel wired to light when powered from an adaptor.

Why do people think it is a good idea to do modifications like this? It took me about twenty minutes to fit a switched pot but I only had a 1M Ohm one available. Works fine though.

Rob
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:14 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

Oops! Um - really, I meant one without an internal IC to make it flash or colour-change, which would indeed be discrete

Rob, for what it's worth, I posted a while back about volume controls for Hacker sets:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=373629

Though I dare-say the 1M pot will do the job well enough

When I'm on a different computer, I could dig out the scan I made, along with a couple of photos of the job...

The worst mods are invariably mains PSUs. I've yet to see a safe one...
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:28 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Rob, go for a cutting punch a bit larger than the hole in the original rexine. Cut a repair dot out of some spare material, then use the same cutter to cut the hole you'e repairing a bit bigger. This gives you a clean edge to mate against a clean edge when you glue te repair dot in.

David
Old 7th Jun 2012, 9:17 pm   #9
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the help, a scan would be great please Mark although there is no hurry, it is sitting on the kitchen window playing Kiss as I tweaked the osc. coil a bit!
Yesterday it was covered in paint, dirt and corrossion. Now it is looking smart and sounds great. All for a pound!.

Read your tips on fitting new pot with interest Mark, the 1M Ohm one I had fits nicely although it will have to be removed for a new 'pip' hole so the knob ligns up. Something I had not considered till I read your post.

Rob

Last edited by robjkmannering; 7th Jun 2012 at 9:24 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 11:39 pm   #10
mhennessy
Dekatron

A pound? That's a complete bargain - especially for a blue one!

Cheers,

Mark
Closed Thread