UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2011, 11:08 pm   #1
Alvin
Heptode

Default Brit/Lektrik 5-Way Adapter

I bought this curiosity at a car boot sale the other day - the seller had two of them last week but by the time I'd trekked round I forgot to go back and talk money with him so was pleased to see he had one left this week and 20 shillings changed hands.

I've not heard of Brit/Lektrik before, it appears to be designed for surface mounting rather than to split a single wall socket 5 ways but would that be for the domestic environment or did it have some industrial or maybe theatre application?

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BritLektrik Adapter - 1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	59716   Click image for larger version

Name:	BritLektrik Adapter - 2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	59717   Click image for larger version

Name:	BritLektrik Adapter - 3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	59718   Click image for larger version

Name:	BritLektrik Adapter - 4.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	59719   Click image for larger version

Name:	BritLektrik Adapter - 5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	59720  

Old 11th Dec 2011, 1:30 am   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Brit/Lektrik 5-Way Adapter

That's an unusual adaptor. Lektrik was a brand of A. P. Lundberg under which they sold a wide range of electrical fittings including some unusual and complicated switches etc., the significance of Brit escapes me.

I expect the idea was to run a flex to an inline domino-style socket fitted onto the two pins, rather than to insert it into a fixed socket, much as we would use a multiway trailing socket today but with a detachable cable. I suspect it was for domestic and general usage - there wouldn't really have been an application for it in the theatrical lighting systems of the era.

I think you were lucky, I'd have snapped them both up the moment I saw them.

Lucien
Old 11th Dec 2011, 11:42 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Brit/Lektrik 5-Way Adapter

Hi,
Certainly unusual, I've never seen one before. Definitely meant to be screwed to a skirting board. Is it for 5amp plugs or 15amp ones? Yes, I'd have grabbed the two of them too. It'd be interesting if another forum member bought t'other one.
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Dec 2011, 8:10 pm   #4
Alvin
Heptode

It's 5 amp.

Alvin
Old 29th Dec 2011, 11:39 am   #5
D.Finney
Pentode

A few years ago adaptors were available for converting a standard 3 pin 13 amp plug into a 2 pin shaver socket. Could this be something similar perhaps for use in a barber's shop?
Closed Thread