UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2007, 8:52 pm   #21
johnlees
Hexode

Default Re: Hanneys in Bath is closing

Hanneys looks very much (inside and out) like Hardings in the Lower High Street, Cheltenham, which is run by a knowledgeable and helpful father and son. Same type of shop front too - even the paintwork.
Heaven forbid that Hardings should ever close.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 9:07 pm   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I called in today and spoke to Mr Hanney, nothing has been signed up as yet but he wants to sell and clear as much stock as possible in the next 5-6 weeks. At least it gives us some idea of the timescale of events.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 9:51 am   #23
newlite4
Octode

I nipped in there on Saturday morning for some switch cleaner. Many surplus items available but a bit pricey. Took some pictures of the outside and inside to give a feel of the place.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICThan1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	11868   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICThan2.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	11869   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICThan3.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	11870  
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:16 pm   #24
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
looked out to the back one day to see the proprietors daughter removing transformers from a chassis with a club hammer before putting them in the sales racks
...so they were thoroughly transformed, then, Neil, but into what?
I recall Hannays PW adverts well: 'Hannay of Bath offers...' and it is a shame that such fascinating shops have virtually disappeared. I guess Hannay's is one on the last of the old PW advertisers, unless you count the larger dealers such as Laskys. A time machine would be a useful device right now. Just think of what you could pick up on a trip back to the early 1950s. Unfortunately, were it possible, I'd probably meet myself as a spindly, spotty youth gazing longingly into some dusty radio shop window or other, like Mike used to (and I, in Vallances window, Leeds, mid '50s)
-Tony
Old 8th Sep 2007, 7:20 pm   #25
thyratron
Tetrode

I too am sad to hear of the demise of L.F.Hanney.
My father, now 82, used to go in there in the late 1940s and remembers the original Mr Hanney as a tall man that used to hang around outside his shop quite a bit.
I remember George Embleton running it (he was from Ryland Huntleys..remember them?) and I think the current Mr.Hanney (Reginald someone) might have also come from there.
When Ryland Huntley closed they had a big clear out/ sale and there were so many people in the showroom the floor started to give way!!
What ever happend to J.Kiss components?
I remember him and his wife stripping down (chassis )in the basement.Her English was a bit dodgy and she used to get her peeecofarads and meeecrofarads mixed up when trying to deal with the capacitors. He had a boat down at Newbridge I think. Some of his stock was really old,and I used to wonder who else , apart from me, ever went in there!
Always a pleasure to go in these old style shops, something that my children will never know!
Old 11th Sep 2007, 8:57 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Visited Hanneys today, they are well on the way to clearing a lot of stuff from the upsatirs room but they will still be open for a while yet as the negotiations for a buyer of the premeses are at a critical and complicated stage. So at least 4-6 weeks to go.
I think he has drummed up quite a bit of extra trade since his closing down sale began
Old 13th Sep 2007, 2:36 pm   #27
thyratron
Tetrode

I went in yesterday and Reg said it will be a week or two before they get to the real good stuff!
This includes a few Avo valve testers .
They have 6 rooms to clear some of which were already full of stuff when Reg took over about 25 years ago.
I reckon leave it until the end of October when all the stuff from the 1960s should bubble up to the surface.
Maybe some old stock TV tubes?

Last edited by thyratron; 13th Sep 2007 at 2:37 pm. Reason: number wrong
Old 17th Sep 2007, 9:06 am   #28
John M0GLN
Octode

Had a few days holiday in Bath last week and made my first and almost certainly my last ever visit to Hanneys, seemed to be an excellent shop, only wish there was one around Southport.
I bought a few valves, some hookup wire and hexagonal brass pillars, you've been lucky to have shop like this, sad to see its closing.

John.
Old 9th Nov 2007, 9:57 pm   #29
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Well he's still there, lots of stock still to go with no definate closing date in sight yet.
Old 19th Jan 2008, 2:11 pm   #30
ajs37
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
Well he's still there, lots of stock still to go with no definate closing date in sight yet.
I had a chat with the shop owner last week - he tells me that they are going to close at the end of the month - probably! They have managed to clear most of the rooms upstairs and now know what they have to sell. Still no news on what shop is going to be there in future.
Cheers
Andy
Old 19th Jan 2008, 2:27 pm   #31
evingar
Octode

Quote:
he tells me that they are going to close at the end of the month - probably!
This thread reminds me of the Monty Python sketch "Death of The Mary Queen Of Scots"
Old 19th Jan 2008, 2:59 pm   #32
Focus Diode
Octode

This is sad stuff indeed. I never had the pleasure of visiting the shop and will never get the chance now sadly.

May I pass on my very best wishes to them.

Brian
Old 19th Jan 2008, 6:31 pm   #33
thyratron
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
I had a chat with the shop owner last week - he tells me that they are going to close at the end of the month - probably! They have managed to clear most of the rooms upstairs and now know what they have to sell. Still no news on what shop is going to be there in future.
Cheers
Andy
Oh ! ....err, does that mean they have got through to the good stuff yet?!!
Old 21st Jan 2008, 8:11 pm   #34
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Had a day off today, so went across to Bath. Just to add to the last comments, the big sign outside the shop says the Final trading day is 31st January. Everything is marked down and everything has to go.
The very sad day is nearly upon us, and I think this time it is final.
Old 31st Jan 2008, 2:25 pm   #35
ajs37
Heptode

last day - closes at 5:30 - open to offers on most things!
Cheers
Andy
Old 31st Jan 2008, 3:24 pm   #36
Tim
Dekatron

I was in there yesterday, bought 20 or so OC45s and some other bits. Although stuff is marked down, it still seems expensive! (And of course none of the stuff I wanted was on special offer................;-) )
I would have liked the 36 boxes of valves that someone took off his hands but I don't think I could sneak those in to the house under my coat!
Reg and his wife(Christine?) are looking forward to their retirement.May it be long and happy.
Old 31st Jan 2008, 4:18 pm   #37
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I was in there yesterday, bought 20 or so OC45s and some other bits. Although stuff is marked down, it still seems expensive! (And of course none of the stuff I wanted was on special offer................;-) )
There's a mismatch between wanting to shift a load of stuff by a certain date, and getting top whack. Maybe he's got a big garage and wants to catch up on some tinkering, or a lot of stuff will be appearing on eBay.

Anyway, I'll be sad to see it go, even though I never used it much.

Pete.
Old 31st Jan 2008, 7:21 pm   #38
Mach One
Heptode

Is there a list somewhere of all these kinds of shops and where they are?
Old 31st Jan 2008, 7:40 pm   #39
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

A thread was started for that purpose at one time but it seemed to die a death. Dave
Old 31st Jan 2008, 10:41 pm   #40
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Hi Dave,

I think that this is the thread you mean;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=21937

I suspect that the reason it petered out is that there aren't very many left.

If this reminder bumps it in peoples mind and more are posted all well and good.

And of course Paul's main site has some useful links and a list of suppliers.

Regards,