UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:44 pm   #1
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Russian Transistors as replacments

Hi Folks I have some P403's They are confusing me slightly for eg the only difference between a P403 and a P403A is the HFE of the former is 30/100 and 2nd one is 16/200 (Towers),Are these interchangeable as quantities of the latter are available very cheaply? Also am I doing something wrong on my tester an average P403 reads hFe 31 vf 330mV is the HFE figure a between figure ie between 30 and a 100? which would make it tally with my tester (I bought a small quantity just to see if they are usable instead of 2N2084's) I am aware they only have CBE leads and no screen as discussed on AF117 Screened Lead post previously Advise much appreciated.

Kev
Old 14th Feb 2018, 7:43 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Russian Transistors as replacments

I think the P403A is just a later version. They are effectively interchangeable.

It can be difficult to get a meaningful hfe reading for Ge transistors when using a modern tester - too clever for their own good. Simple old testers with a meter, a couple of resistors and a switch are actually more use. You can easily build one and use it with an external analogue meter such as an Avo. There's no such thing as an absolute hfe figure as it depends on operating conditions.

31 is indeed between 30 and 100, but I wouldn't attach too much importance to that.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 10:58 pm   #3
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thank you Paul that was very helpful. Out of interest these transistors do have nice long leads!

Kind regards

Kev

Last edited by Oldelectronics; 14th Feb 2018 at 11:03 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 10:14 pm   #4
FrankB
Heptode

A quick search shows Leeds Radio has it for $5.00
www.leedsradio.com/parts-semiconductors.html
HTH
Old 17th Feb 2018, 3:42 am   #5
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I can't see them on the Leeds Radio link, but there are various eBay sellers offering several including carriage for less than that.
Closed Thread