UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2017, 1:41 pm   #1
humorist2751
Pentode

Default Unidentified Ekco record player with unidentified Collaro deck. Ekco RP350.

Greetings to one and all.

A while back, I received a record player, badged as "Ekco" (but with no sign of a model number) and with a deck that is obviously of Collaro origin, but again I have no idea of its model number either - and sadly, there is as yet no "sticky" thread on identifying this particular make.

Attention to the electronics was fairly straightforward, but sadly the unit had spent some time with no power and its turntable in "drive" mode, so of course the idler wheel had dimpled rather badly. I did remove this, put it in an arbor, and grind it against some abrasive paper - but sadly, this procedure has left the deck with an unacceptable wow.

Given the extremely compact arrangement of this model, offering up various alternative decks has shown that all of them foul some part or other of the amplifier, given that they have much more "underneath stuff" than the one that is fitted.

I could get hold of an empty case, and transplant the electronics into that, along with an alternative (and known good) deck - but if I could identify this particular Collaro deck, I may be able to find a replacement idler, or commission one to be made.

By the way, the rotary knob on the front panel in the photographs was not there originally; it was added because the original switch, ganged with the volume control, had failed, so a rotary one was used to take over that function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675_small.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	153614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676_small.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	153615  
Old 8th Dec 2017, 2:31 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Unidentified Ekco record player with unidentified Collaro deck

Ekco RP350:

https://www.***********/photos/bradfo...ine/6807238541

Apparently the record deck is a Collaro "Junior"

ECL82 plus bridge rectifier.

Lawrence.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 2:33 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: Unidentified Ekco record player with unidentified Collaro deck

Well done Lawrence. I'll update the thread title.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 3:03 pm   #4
humorist2751
Pentode

Default Re: Unidentified Ekco record player with unidentified Collaro deck. Ekco RP350.

May I add my own thanks for providing the information so promptly. Now to see, if possible, if the Collaro "Junior" shared the same idler as one of the numbered Collaro models!
Old 8th Dec 2017, 4:30 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Unidentified Ekco record player with unidentified Collaro deck. Ekco RP350.

You could re-tyre the old one. If it's now round you can fit a flat belt onto it to make it a larger diameter to touch the motor and platter.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 7:10 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Or the idler wheel it could be easily skimmed on a Lathe. The tone arm is the same as from the Collaro RC54, RC456, RC457 and Conquest autochangers. From the photo, it looks as if the original (excellent) Collaro Studio "O" medium output cartridge has been replaced with a mono, stereo-compatible type, possibly an Acos GP91 series.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 7:39 pm   #7
RojDW48
Nonode

All the Collaros I have worked on so far have used the same idler wheel - and, indeed, the same wheel for driving the autochange mechanism - so....hopefully you can find another. I even managed to harvest a wheel from a dead Challenger (IIRC) to replace a dented one in my old Decca Stereo Decola.