UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2018, 12:35 am   #21
resurgance2001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Looking for a project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
How are you off for test equipment? To my mind, you can never have enough! But such things don't have to be large, heavy - and expensive. You can build all sorts of really useful 'gadgets' for a small outlay. And after some time with using them, you wonder how you ever got along without them!
Yup - that's a great idea - I know I need a decent capacitance meter - so I might as well start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I think this is the engineering equivalent of writers block. Nobody can really suggest anything you should build or experiment with at least that would get you over the inertia of starting a good lengthy project and then keeping the interest & energy going to maintain it to completion.

The answer is inside your mind, waiting to appear, hopefully soon, just like the writer's story.

Think back about circuits inspired or impressed you or interested you before.

Clearly you are good with radio technology already, maybe something new outside the comfort zone and pick up some new skills. Did you see someone do something with a project that you wanted to be able to do too ?

Whatever the project it is, it is better for you to "think it up yourself" and have a fire in your belly for the idea of it, before you start.

I had a period where there were no projects on the boiler, so while I waited for the penny to drop on what the next one might be, I tidied up and upgraded the workshop instead. The ideas seem to come when you don't try too hard.
Thanks - those are interesting thoughts. I will keep in mind what you have said there. Thanks.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 12:36 am   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Gents, Gents, with nixie tubes you must stick with 74 series TTL !!!!!
Indeed; there were even special 74 chips with 4-bit BCD inputs, cascadable logic level inputs and outputs for leading-zero suppression (to prevent a figure zero from being displayed, unless a more significant digit was non-zero) and high-voltage, open collector outputs intended for driving gas discharge tubes (7-segment neon displays existed, as well as ones with individual digit-shaped cathodes). They were used in early electronic calculators and instruments such as weighing scales, petrol pumps and pinball machines until LEDs took over.

Nowadays, you probably would have to use discrete transistors such as MPSA42 to drive Nixie tubes from a 5V or 3.3V logic ouptut.

If you were driving your displays in multiplexed mode, implementing the anode drives might be fun .....
Old 7th Jan 2018, 12:46 am   #23
turretslug
Dekatron

74141 is a Nixie (0-9 symbol) decoder-driver with HV open collector outputs, the K155ID1 (Latin transliteration) is the Russian counterpart.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 12:46 am   #24
resurgance2001
Retired Dormant Member

I have been away for a couple of days. I just came back and I am so impressed with all these suggestions everyone is making. I started replying to each suggestion individually and now I have just looked to see how many there are! Thanks. I will read carefully everything that people have said and get back to you - hopefully sooner rather than later with a status update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Have a look at Douglas Self's website and see if something takes your fancy.

When I'm at a point where I need inspiration, I just look around all over the place until something clicks.
Thanks David - good advice and I will check out the website you mentioned. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Have you thought of looking at 1960’s- 1970’s popular electronic mags?
Clive Sinclair was also prolific during this period with simple and more complex designs in his pamphlets described as ‘Trasnsitor Circuit Manual/s. There are some great designs including for a two transistor superhet.
That 2 transistor superhet sounds interesting. I just built one of Sinclaire's pulse counting micro-FM radios.
Old 7th Jan 2018, 5:47 am   #25
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Ed, also I found the Z668M tubes stunning. I think they are now either a Siemens line, or no longer manufactured , so quite expensive. I cloned the circuit of one with six tubes in around 2005. They are physically large , especially compared to the ex-Soviet clear glass types. Worth hunting down if for wow factor !
Old 9th Jan 2018, 12:23 am   #26
resurgance2001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
A regenerative receiver.

It's funny you should say that. I have a circuit I have been walking around holding for the last few days. I will try to find it.

Is it possible somehow to attach a PLL to a super regenerative receiver?

The thing I find about the Super Regens is that with a decent speaker it is actually possible to get something that is very nearly enjoyable to listen to.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 11:17 am   #27
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I am dreaming up a 3 valve high quality low powered AM Pantry transmitter using NOS TV valves. I am already into the early planning stages.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 6:57 pm   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurgance2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
A regenerative receiver.

It's funny you should say that. I have a circuit I have been walking around holding for the last few days. I will try to find it.

Is it possible somehow to attach a PLL to a super regenerative receiver?

The thing I find about the Super Regens is that with a decent speaker it is actually possible to get something that is very nearly enjoyable to listen to.
I meant a regen for HF. Super regens are only for VHF/UHF. Never built any of those.

Closed Thread