UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2012, 1:51 am   #1
supremme
Retired Dormant Member

Default Yaesu FT101E

I recently bought a yaesu ft101e, which takes many years standing, I bought the steel mill that does not transmit. after opening the lids, and see that everything is more or less normal, decico connect and to my surprise the computer on, go on light vfo but clicks and a burning smell started coming out with some smoke, the team turned around and saw it burn 1K5/5W R40, C11 200pf/1kv also damaged. I put R40nueva with 2 series resistors 1k ceramic type +560 ohm / 5W also disconnecting the capacitor C11. c40 resistance heating still very fast. clicks are heard. Thanks
Old 30th Nov 2012, 9:01 am   #2
PeterRoberts
Pentode

Default Re: Yaesu FT101E

Hi,

I would suggest that you try the Yahoo Group dedicated to the FT-101 for more guidance, but I can give you some pointers.

First of all, you must be aware that high voltages are present within the radio and that you must take the necessary precautions when working inside the radio.

The capacitors C11, C13, C125 and C131 are known to go leaky with age and may need replacing. If it were me, I would replace all these in any case.

Also check on the screen grid resistors on the driver, R5 & R37. You obviously have a fault in the driver/PA stages, and may even have internal short circuits in either of the PA valves or the driver.

I suggest that you remove the valves from the driver and PA and check these for any internal short circuits. Do not replace the valves until the voltages in the radio are as indicated (within a reasonable tolerance) to those in the service manual. If you don't have a copy of the service manual you can get one from the foxtango.org website.

Good luck,

Peter
G4DJB
Old 21st Dec 2012, 3:30 pm   #3
James Duncan
Pentode

Default Re: Yaesu FT101E

Never apply power to any valved equipment that has been stored for a long time.the capacitors will just heat up and cause heavy load resulting in damage, at times even exploding, big mess!!
Always power up via a variac or at least with a couple of 40 watt light bulbs in series with the power, let things soak for a few hours, then soak through one lamp for another few hours.

The caps in your radio will have done the damage but if you had powered up taking precautions it is more than likley your radio would have been OK.
No problem, change the caps, replace burnt resistors and also follow the advice given on this site.

cheers
MM0HDW
Closed Thread