UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2021, 9:09 am   #21
Keith956
Heptode

Default Re: Delia Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Fred Judd did the electronic music and noises for "Space Patrol"

He also was the originator of the 'slim jim' 2 metre antenna along with a few others.

David
Remarkable chap. The Practical Electronica film is well worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afr9...-xquCmSfiHe-mc
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:06 am   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Malcolm I will check that out. That Delia Doc seems great to me but the usual purist suspects always turn out to criticise. The first 10minutes isn't nearly enough to catch on really. Dylan material is all over the schedules as well. Hear today's "Dinner with Bob" [Radio 4] and order a Shrimp Curry. [Ian Curtis from "Love Actually]" A perfect and very funny portrait of us obsessive men of a certain age They booed Dylan because he went "electric" [not folk] and now Delia isn't technical enough

Dave W

Half the people can be part right all of the time
Some of the people can be all right part of the time
But all the people can't be all right all the time
I think Abraham Lincoln said that. Bob Dylan

Last edited by dave walsh; 23rd May 2021 at 12:28 am.
Old 27th May 2021, 5:20 am   #23
martin.m
Hexode

In the late 1960s John Peel used to play tracks from an LP called "White Noise". This was on Island records and featured the work of Delia Derbyshire and David Vorhaus. Original copies of this can be expensive, but it's also available on a CD. I had the record when I was a teenager (a long time ago).
Old 27th May 2021, 6:10 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

The LP was titled "An Electric Storm" by the White Noise.

I've still got my original copy. One whole side is a car-crash set to grim music, which is a bit of an acquired taste. The track "Here come the fleas" has the most amazing 3-second burst of high speed music concrete in it. The whole LP is worth it just for that!

Vorhaus did a couple more LPs as The White Noise, I don't think Delia was involved in them.

Do I have to up my security? It's sitting next to an original "In the Court of the Crimson King" You could say that "An electric storm" was a lot of tape in serial form, while the King Crimson was a lot of tape in parallel form (Mellotron)

David
Old 27th May 2021, 7:43 am   #25
toshiba tony
Heptode

I have this album, it's certainly an odd one. I play it when I get down. Luckily that's not too often. Can't quite suss it out, is it supposed to make you feel down, it has an eerie theme all the way through. One track is full of echo's, the word hell is in the title. Most disconcerting, headphones should be avoided.
Old 27th May 2021, 9:01 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

Cassette copy in player, hot day, windows down, stuck in stop-go traffic, you can really disconcert people around you.... you certainly get funny looks.

It's not the sort of music you'd expect from the creator of Dr Who's upbeat driving march.

For some reason, my ipod on random play can always tell when someone is in earshot and either this crops up or else the rude ones from a CD of Monty Python songs.

David
Old 27th May 2021, 9:57 am   #27
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
HHMM another "lover" of very early synthetic music.
There is quite a bit available on YouTube!!

I am watching this thread with great interest.

PS. I have quite a large collection of Laurie Anderson.
ALAS Delia Derbyshire is VERY hard to find on vinyl here.
I cannot, and will not, play CD stuff.

Joe
I have Big Science by Lauri Anderson on cd (sorry) never seen it on vinyl my favourite track would be O Superman , this is possibly the first CD I heard played by the tutor at college trying to teach us how to repair CD players The Philips CD 104 comes to mind , Mick.
Old 27th May 2021, 11:25 am   #28
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

WOULD YOU MIND BEIN' QUIET IN DERE? is the line I quote most often from An Electric Storm. I've got a copy of the LP and it is a fascinating listen. It fits in somewhere between Brian Eno and Alan Vega/Suicide, and still sounds fresh. I think the part that dates it most is the vocalists' accents - they sound quite '60s!

I tested the water with the 'Arena' programme after Eurovision and thought it looked very interesting, so I've got that lined up to watch this weekend.
Old 27th May 2021, 4:33 pm   #29
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The LP was titled "An Electric Storm" by the White Noise.

I've still got my original copy. One whole side is a car-crash set to grim music, which is a bit of an acquired taste. The track "Here come the fleas" has the most amazing 3-second burst of high speed music concrete in it.
That should be musique concrete as it is a French term and was invented by a French composer, Pierre Schaeffer, who worked in the studios of French Radio.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:41 am   #30
joebog1
Banned

An Electric Storm was my introduction to Delia Derbyshire. At that time I didnt know she did Dr Who.

I still have my original LP in perfect condition. As stated, the flip side is a bit of an acquired taste.
I have understood it to be a motorcycle crash rather than car crash, but that's bye the bye.
A Black Mass in Hell is even more "bizarre".

Joe

Joe
Closed Thread