UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2021, 3:15 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Teac A-450 unusual fault

Hi All
This deck has been slumbering away well wrapped in an insulated loft for several years. I had a day off work today and with the weather being what it is Decided to get it down and attempt a resurrection. Fitted new belts and gave the heads, capstan and pinch rollers a good clean. I noticed the insulation of the two core mains cable was damaged outside the unit and have also replaced this.

Now the wierd bit…. it was powering in intermittently before I took it apart and Inthought the power switch may have been at fault. When switched on the deck after cleaning it was completely dead, no lights or meter bulbs were lit. When play is pressed (piano key) however the deck springs to life everything comes on and sounds very good but there is some background noise. If I can figure out the fault I will re cap the power supply and see if this improves things. The power supply board is a bit of a pig to get at buried under a million bunched groups of cables.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the likely cause of the only powering on when play is selected? Any other key e.g Rewind leaves it dead.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9D5DBD1-6964-4817-8807-49658BE8158C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	234541  
Old 21st May 2021, 6:50 pm   #2
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: Teac A-450 unusual fault

Ok I’m going to admit my stupidity …..the “fault” it turns out was that in removing the front panel containing the switch legends I hadn’t noticed In moving the deck Id errr inadvertently knocked the timer switch to on….which is why pressing play overrode the timer and brought the deck to life. Cleaning the rec/play switch has also helped a lot. Some more work to do to get it to its best but it’s getting there.
Old 28th May 2021, 1:07 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

A Teac of this vintage will probably have good quality capacitors fitted, so I'd be reluctant to do a 'recap', especially as it's hard to access and you might accidentally introduce other faults - we've all done it.
Old 28th May 2021, 11:21 pm   #4
Whaam68
Hexode

Hi Glyn
Now I’ve done the belts and cleaned and lubed it The audio sounds very good good but there is still a level of hum on the output and the volume on one channel occasionally fluctuates although the meters don’t show anything amiss. The nippon chemicon caps are very good quality but now getting to near 50 years old. That said I will get around to removing a few and see how they test. From the state of it when I got it had been unused for a long time.
Mike
Closed Thread