UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2021, 7:26 am   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Sony TC266 tape lifter

Hi everyone, I've got a Sony TC266, ive managed to solve the issue of the latching mechanism engaging but I've now got another issue, the tape lifter does not quite take the tape far enough onto the scrape filter hence the sound output is low, when i move it a little further and the tape comes into contact with the scrape filter the sound is fabulous, any ideas as to what to do about it is very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_071656.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	234405  
Old 19th May 2021, 7:42 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC266 tape lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Leese View Post
Hi everyone, I've got a Sony TC266, ive managed to solve the issue of the latching mechanism engaging but I've now got another issue, the tape lifter does not quite take the tape far enough onto the scrape filter hence the sound output is low, when i move it a little further and the tape comes into contact with the scrape filter the sound is fabulous, any ideas as to what to do about it is very much appreciated.
Is the tape lifter pivot gummed up?
Old 19th May 2021, 6:38 pm   #3
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Leese View Post
Is the tape lifter pivot gummed up?
Hi Ted, ive totally degreased everything but its still the same, there doesn't appear to be any sort of adjuster .
Very confusing.
Old 19th May 2021, 6:54 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

The only adjustment in the manual is for it in the Stop position.

Lawrence.
Old 20th May 2021, 7:56 am   #5
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
The only adjustment in the manual is for it in the Stop position.

Lawrence.
Hi Lawrence, it looks like another strip down again, something is amiss, thanks for your input.
Trev
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:30 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thumbs down Re: Sony TC266 tape lifter

Not really familiar with the scrape filter operation.

Looking at one of my TC-399s the tape lifter moves as far as it can when Play is selected, i.e. as per photo 1 the black rubber stop on the base of the tape lifter pin makes contact with the end of the cut-out.

Looking at the tape transport selector assembly that is removed from another of my TK 399s, the tape lifter stops a little short, i.e. the black rubber stop on the tape lifter pin does not make contact with the end of the cut-out.

Photo 2 shows the rear of the removed assembly. I think there are 2 possible things that could stop the tape lifter not moving sufficiently (assuming assembly not stiff) so that tape flutter is not controlled by the scrape filter.

1. If the coiled spring is too weak
2. The shape/bend of the black flat shaped spring arm

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	234749   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	110.6 KB