UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2012, 5:16 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Finishing Brass and Copper

Any ideas on how to achieve the 'antique' brass and copper finish on early candlestick phones please? I see that dealers often polish them up, but that looks too gaudy for me.
Regards
Nigel
Old 20th Oct 2012, 6:17 pm   #2

Default Re: Finishing Brass and Copper

Simple, use it for 20 years! There are 'antiquing' fluids available I think they look false.

Old 20th Oct 2012, 6:46 pm   #3
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Hello Nigel,

Have a look here. These products are substitutes for Liberon products which I have used for many years.

http://www.tryrelics.co.uk/search.thtml

Regards,
Old 20th Oct 2012, 8:10 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I would have thought a coloured Lacquer. Best person to ask is our clock expert Mike Phelan.
John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 20th Oct 2012 at 8:18 pm.
Old 21st Oct 2012, 10:03 am   #5
Ghostuser
Pentode

Thanks for the help on this one. I will go for the antique finishing liquid replacing the liberon product. If I can't get my Peel-Connor candlestick phone working at least I can get it looking right.
Nigel
Old 21st Oct 2012, 12:25 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Clock material dealers such as Meadows and Passmore supply lacquers of various shades from clear to deep gold. They are applied warm.

The finish on some brass items such as the pins on 13 amp plug tops are treated with a dip of chromic acid (H2CrO4) for a few seconds then washed and followed by a dip of nitric acid (HNO3). This gives a finish that lasts for years without lacquering.

Don't try this at home.
Old 21st Oct 2012, 5:49 pm   #7
alanworland
Heptode

I used to regulary polish (Brasso) our letterbox, door handle, bell push etc but then I didn't do it for a while and obviously it went 'off colour'
I now use a Simoniz wax polish very infrequently which has achieved a nice lustre on the tarnished finish which looks far better than the gaudy look!
Let them discolour naturally - I think humidity helps.

Alan
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 7:27 pm   #8
Sega radio
Retired Dormant Member

As odd as it sounds you could try popping into your local modelshop and asking them, as with railway and wargame modelling there's often pieces that people want to age.

I can actually mimic rust to the point people don't believe me when I tell them its actually paint; there is more than likely something available that will mimic the oxidisation of brass.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 23rd Oct 2012 at 9:36 am. Reason: Typos corrected.
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 9:32 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I saw a programme a few years ago about fakers. If I remember rightly, an effective way to make new brass- and copperware items look antique was to bury them in damp earth in the garden for a couple of weeks. I haven't tried it myself: possibly the type of soil [acid or alkaline] would affect the outcome.
Closed Thread