UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2019, 11:53 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Problems with a link in a PM.

Can someone please tell me why www.radiomuseum.org is O.K. as a link from, e.g., this post or via a google search, but when I included www.radiomuseum.org in a PM to a fellow member earlier this morning, and checked by clicking on the link, a '404 Not Found' appeared. I double checked that I had entered the link correctly, and couldn't see any errors such as mistyping, spelling mistakes, etc. so am puzzled. The forum member in question lives in Taipei (Taiwan) but I don't see why that should make any difference. Just checked and neither link works from this post, but exactly the same URL works if entered in the Google Search Box.
Old 28th Nov 2019, 12:06 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Problems with a link in a PM.

The links in your post don't work! Here's why.

When you insert a link in a post or PM, what you see and click on is not necessarily the actual url for the webpage linked to. For example eBay links are often several lines of text, but appear in shortened for in a post or PM ie truncated. The forum software knows what the complete url is.

What your post above actually contains is this:-

[XRL="https://www.vintageradio.net/forum/www.radiomuseum.org"]www.radiomuseum.org[/XRL]

I have changed URL to XRL to illustrate the point. Some how you've got vintageradio.net in there, so the 404 message comes from the forums.

If you want to insert a link in a post or PM it's best to copy the URL form the address bar, paste it into your post or PM and let the forum software do the rest.

www.radiomuseum.org.

Never copy a link from a post or PM.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Nov 2019, 3:01 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Problems with a link in a PM.

Thanks for the explanation, Graham. I'll bear that in mind in future. What I did in the above examples, both in my PM and the post, was to click on the 'insert link' icon, then type in 'www.radiomuseum.org', a method I have used many times before without problems.
Closed Thread