UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2021, 4:50 pm   #1
Aub
Nonode

Default What the Heck is a "Handling Charge" ?

Went to order a few small parts from CPC. I've never dealt with them before. The order was less than eight pounds but they wanted to add a £4.99 "Handling Charge" on top and then add VAT on top of the total.

I could have understood delivery, but that was free.

Cheers

Aub
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 4:57 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: What the Heck is a "Handling Charge" ?

I presume it's the cost of them doing all they need to do to process the order, gather the parts together, bag them up, package them etc. Not saying I agree with it.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 5:00 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I guess it's to cover the overhead cost of small orders. Even if we only order one resistor someone needs to maintain a system which accepts the order and prints out the pick list, then someone else has to take that and walk down to the parts bin that has the resistors in, take one out, put it in a bag, stick on the parts label, put the labelled bag into a jiffy bag, seal it, stick on the address label and walk it across to dispatch. In the meantime someone's maintaining the system which looks after stock control and billing.

Handling, in short .

They don't get to keep the VAT.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 5:10 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Yes. It's to pay for someone to get the bits, put them in a box, print the paperwork, seal and label the box. Currently if your ex vat order is over £17.49 they waive the charge. It has been lower. RS components had no charge even for small orders until recently, but it's now under £30.

With more small orders from people like us, and a reduction in big companies placing orders, they can't really afford to cover everything if you are ordering a few pence worth of components.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 5:23 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

Well I haven't come across that charge before, only delivery charge if the order is below a certain amount. I mainly use Rapid and yesterday I used Cricklewood.

I'm afraid they won't be "handling" orders from me 🙂

Aub