UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:55 am   #41
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC Public Information Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitaudio View Post
"I'll be back-ack-ack-ack..."
Narrator:
"Well done Sir! An object lesson in how to deal with a bust pipe..."

Shot of family with vacant expression

"...What a pity you let it happen in the first place".

Classic!

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 20th Feb 2020 at 1:04 am.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:30 am   #42
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

The BFI have a range of COI films ..but as usual, they are a priced above other vendors.

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/...ollection.html

The Network DVD 'Charley Says' is under a fiver and has been revised around 3 times

https://networkonair.com/all-products/23-charley-says
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:48 am   #43
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

Narrator:
"Well done Sir! An object lesson in how to deal with a bust pipe..."

Shot of family with vacant expression

"...What a pity you let it happen in the first place".

Classic!
I always like that one, the look of guilt/shame on the family's faces at the end is wonderful!
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:13 pm   #44
Richard_FM
Nonode

I think that's the one where they seem to wait ages until the director eventually says cut. There's another one where Ken Dodd keeps pulling different faces before the film finally stops running.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:16 pm   #45
broadgage
Nonode

I well recall many of those films. One featured a "frisbee" or similar toy accidently thrown into a substation. A boy enters via a vandalised fence and is killed whilst attempting to retrieve the article.

IIRC, the same films were also shown in cinemas not just on television.

I remember the old "news cinema" at Waterloo station, that showed newsreels, adverts, and an assortment of short films. One of the road safety films was filmed nearby, it depicted someone run over and killed on the cab road whilst walking from waterloo main station to waterloo east.

When not open to the public, I think that the news cinema was used to show instructional films to railway staff.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:22 pm   #46
FireballX
Triode

Mindful of the public information film about not flying kites near to power lines, I instead managed to get my brand new bright red kite stuck 30ft up an unclimbable oak tree in a field near my house. Spent the next 6 months watching it slowly fade and rot away!
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:24 pm   #47
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Found it! Ref my post #32. The film is called 'Drive Safely Darling' which apparently is a song as well so not too easy to find. It's got pretty high production values and nifty stunt driving. The actors include Colin Baker and John Challis plus a fairly dull introduction by Frank Bough. The tone certainly changes towards the end and it's not surprising I remember it vividly, despite (I imagine) seeing it only once. Oddly the frisbee-throwing child mentioned in the post above appears in this film!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc4SofgbHFg
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:30 pm   #48
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post

IIRC, the same films were also shown in cinemas not just on television.

I remember the old "news cinema" at Waterloo station, that showed newsreels, adverts, and an assortment of short films. One of the road safety films was filmed nearby, it depicted someone run over and killed on the cab road whilst walking from waterloo main station to waterloo east.

When not open to the public, I think that the news cinema was used to show instructional films to railway staff.
The COI headquarters building was just off Westminster Bridge road, very close to Waterloo Station - they wouldn`t have gone further than they needed for locations.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 6:34 pm   #49
red16v
Heptode

They also used to produce one around Christmas and New year explaining the dangers of drink driving. If I remember correctly one of them featured a catchy tune called 'Jewel (dual?) which actually became so popular it was released as a single and made its way onto ToTP's.
Closed Thread