UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:00 pm   #1
Mark Morb
Triode

Default Advice on HDMI to RF converter

Hi,

Before I click the button on this I thought I would just run it past you guys. All I'm looking for is something that will take a signal from a DVD player (or mini media device) via HDMI and whack it out to my little Ingersoll XK510 B&W TV just using the external aerial socket. It's just for display purposes, but want to get the old test card up on it....

Looks like a cheap Chinese box but if it works then that is good enough for me.

Here's the Ebay link:

https://bit.ly/2V6Icav

It does say it supports PAL-BG, PAL-1, PAL-DK and NTSC-M

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 19th Feb 2020, 2:45 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Advice on HDMI to RF converter

These have been on the forum before and I believe the RF out is at low VHF frequencies to suite US type TVs, it would need some modification to use in the UK.
Probably better to get an HDMI to composite converter and separate UK modulator.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 2:54 pm   #3
Mark Morb
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
These have been on the forum before and I believe the RF out is at low VHF frequencies to suite US type TVs, it would need some modification to use in the UK.
Probably better to get an HDMI to composite converter and separate UK modulator.
Thanks for the reply Chris, bit naughty of them to call it a "UK Signal Coaxial converter" and put all the stuff in about PAL output...but that's why I thought I'd check on here first.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:52 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
...Probably better to get an HDMI to composite converter and separate UK modulator...
From experience the above option doesn't always work well due to what appears to be an impedance mismatch between the composite output of the HDMI convertor and the associated modulator.

This may be a better option despite being a little more expensive; I have obtained them from a UK seller in the past, however am unable to find them currently.

Regards

Andrew
Old 20th Feb 2020, 11:49 am   #5
simpsons
Octode

Looking at the eBay.com site, the RF output is shown as 61.25 Mhz. The UK reference is to the mains plug supplied. In addition, the instructions show that the RF frequency is fixed.

There are inexpensive HDMI to composite converters and in addition RF modulators or perhaps you could use a video recorder to do the modulator part.

I've used both Amazon £10 and £30 converters and noticed that setting PAL/NTSC has quite an effect on the quality of conversion. If memory is right, the NTSC comb filter gave a much better frequency response when using a test card input.

Good luck

Chris
Closed Thread