UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2018, 11:52 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Radiophile Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Unfortunately the quality of lots does vary, and it's simply not realistic to check every item before it goes into the sale.
I appreciate that but how about selling as "seller declared complete" "seller declared incomplete" and "unknown" then at least bidders would know what they are buying ?
It was stated at the auction that lots were "worth the start price for the valves alone," fair enough if the valves are there...
I wasn't particularly bothered about the lots I bought having been robbed as one was stripped for parts and I didn't need the output valve the other I had a suitable valve to replace the missing one. It was just the principle really I felt a bit ripped off.. Had the valves been present but duff I would have thought no more of it as that is the risk you take.
At Harpenden recently there was a few radios entered in the auction minus valves this was clearly declared so the buyers knew what they were getting (or not) .

The advantage of buying a rough woodwormed incomplete set cheap is that there is no guilt in stripping it for parts. My opinion is that I didn't scrap it the previous owner did. I am just salvaging useful parts so better sets may live...
As far as being too remote there are a lot of collectors in Cambridgeshire Cowbit has always been well attended with lots of good stalls and good lots in the Auction until recently. Now it really is a shadow of the former events.

I appreciate that ebay has had a significant effect on collectors events and as time passes that seems to be more the case.
I don't suppose much can be done ?

Rich.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 8:42 pm   #22
Sean Williams
Dekatron

The Cowbit venue is not chosen for any sensible commercial reason, nor is it chosen because the venue is fantastically connected to the road networks.

It is the most local Radiophile venue for me, so a shame that the support for this event has dwindled as much as it has.

Quite simply, Chas and Jo take their holidays quite close to Cowbit, and they like to add an auction at either the start, or end of a few days away.

From experience Gnosall, or Market Drayton have been the better sales from a quality point of view, some of the earlier Wetwood ones have been very good indeed. By far the best sales I was ever involved with were the military ones of about 8 years ago just outside Eccleshall - tons (literally) of military and vintage kit all auctioned off with no reserve - I think everyone went home fairly happy, and well loaded, the vendor went away with a decent return, and nothing was left for scrap.

Changing times, the £5 minimum bid might help, the £2 commission per lot may not help so much - charging an entry fee would certainly make others think twice about entering rubbish!
Old 8th Nov 2018, 9:23 pm   #23
GrahamN
Hexode

The £2 minimum commission is for each lot, even if it doesn't sell, so together with a minimum sale price of £5 Chas is hoping that vendors will think twice before entering obviously poor items.

As far as descriptions are concerned, I don't think that adding 'unknown' to each auction lot is any more helpful than the current descriptions. As lots are generally not seen in advance there is no practical way for anything to be verified before the sale. Bidders should be aware of this (it has always been that way with Radiophile auctions), and should satisfy themselves as to the condition of any item before bidding. If items aren't worth a fiver, then don't bid. Vendors will soon get the message if their items don't sell!
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:06 am   #24
slidertogrid
Octode

I am not suggesting adding unknown to every lot. I am suggesting that the vendor declares the item complete, incomplete or unknown. sometimes it is not easy to check for completeness without dismantling. (for example a reel to reel tape recorder).
As far as not being worth a fiver I agree I don't expect much and wouldn't complain.
But when you pay fair money as I did for a tape recorder and then find the valves have been robbed that is not really fair is it? If I had known its true state I wouldn't have bid for it..
Anyway only a suggestion I understand how things are and that the auctioneers are not responsible and I certainly don't want to cause any ill feeling over a couple of valves!
Caveat emptor I suppose...
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:55 am   #25
GrahamN
Hexode

Quote:
I am suggesting that the vendor declares the item complete
That was my point (albeit not expressed well enough). Descriptions on Radiophile auction lots are those given by the vendor. Unlike large auction houses where lots are submitted and stored by the auctioneers, there is no time to examine each lot prior to it being put out for sale. Inspections by potential bidders are thus crucial. As many lots are estate sales, the vendor may well not know anything about the items they are putting up for sale, so everything must be considered incomplete / faulty unless specifically noted otherwise.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:44 am   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
The Cowbit venue is not chosen for any sensible commercial reason, nor is it chosen because the venue is fantastically connected to the road networks.

It is the most local Radiophile venue for me, so a shame that the support for this event has dwindled as much as it has.

Quite simply, Chas and Jo take their holidays quite close to Cowbit, and they like to add an auction at either the start, or end of a few days away.
I understand why it's held at Cowbit Sean - I was responding to your earlier comments in post #6 above, namely:

Quote:
Sadly the situation with volunteers has been ongoing for many years now - I used to be a regular attendee/helper, but if you factor in a whole weekend, 200 mile round trip, and overnight accommodation/meals, then it ceases to be a voluntary effort, and is actually an expensive weekend away. There is a finite number of people that are happy to do this sort of thing, I think it is fair to say that the resource has been depleted. It is quite disheartening to lay out a 400+ lot auction, with lots arriving at sporadic times from 10 am on a Saturday, right through to 1pm on the day of the sale, only to end the sale with a number of unsold lots, and no sight of anyone to take them away.

Your comments in your first paragraph are well made. I was trying to make the point - not as a criticism, but as a simple fact of life - that if an event is staged at such whimsical out-of-the-way location, the difficulties that arise are an inevitable consequence. Hence it's illogical for anyone to bemoan lack of support when that lack of support is self-induced. If few volunteer or attend such events due to the distances involved, then even good quality lots aren't going to attain best prices. If the lots aren't of good quality nor sought after items, then those who've travelled a long way are going to go home disappointed.

I remain puzzled as to why anyone would expect such an event to be well supported by either volunteers or attendees. Having attended two Cowbit events (because we were in Spalding visiting former neighbours, so it wasn't out of my way), it did nothing to diminish my puzzlement. That said, those who have the enthusiasm to arrange and to support the event and all similar events have my admiration.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:15 pm   #27
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Oh, I do agree with you David, it is an odd choice of location that's for sure.

If I had more spare time, I would quite like to start running something over here again - We ran a couple of Amateur Radio Fleamarket type things, that went quite well.

With Harpenden beig so close to this location, there is probably little point in trying to arrange anything similar just a few miles away.