UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2005, 3:08 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Taylor 45A 'Magic eye' tests.

I want to know how to test tuning indicators with a valve tester. This may seem silly but I have never used the valve tester till the other day. I put a known good tuning indicator in the valve tester and followed the instructions all seemed well continuity etc but the thing did not glow! I tried several others with the same result.

The 'book' says set it to 100-60-0 isn't that a bit low to get the valve to glow? I don't want to destroy my valve in the tester!!

I am sure there are people out there who have been testing 'magic eyes' for years. Can anyone give a 1-2-3 step to testing say an EM34? thanks..

As this has fallen to page 2, I thought I would refresh the subject just in case any new viewers know the procedure to do a 'glow test' on a magic eye in a Taylor 45A tester.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 28th May 2007 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Start & refresh posts
Old 3rd Sep 2005, 8:08 pm   #2
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Taylor 45A 'Magic eye' tests.

Hi Peter your valve should light on the tester if its working, just be carefull you stick to the given selector settings, you do two tests on these valves,I have a Taylor 45c so my settings may be different, but anyway these eyes are tested in two sections first the normal test on the amplifier section then a test on the shadow section for the later move the anode and screen volts selector from the position given opposite shadow in the valve chart to that opposite test this should cause the valve to change its shadow angle so you use two lots of abc selections, hope this helps perhaps another member may be able to help more
Old 13th Sep 2005, 4:12 am   #3
Norman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Taylor 45A 'Magic eye' tests.

The EM34 have two independent shadows. Put it on the IO1 socket, set 6,3V filament voltage, 3mAV mutual conductance range and, to test the 1st shadow:
- Set ABC to 750
- Set Anode/Screen to 100 60 0 to open angle
- Set Anode/Screen to 100 100 0 to close angle

To test the 2nd:
- Set ABC to 706
- Set Anode/Screen to 100 60 0 to open angle
- Set Anode/Screen to 100 100 0 to close angle

Regards,
Closed Thread