UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2005, 8:28 pm   #1
Trev757
Banned

Default Mullard Valve Tester

Hi all

I am just about to put an old Mullard high speed valve tester on Ebay. However, not knowing how these operate, I don't want to mislead anyone in my description. Although the thing powers up, the valve heaters are alight and HT can be measured at various points around the circuit, there is no spot on the tube. Does this mean that it is faulty, or do you actually have to have a card and a valve plugged in before you get a spot? If the latter is the case, can someone give me the card number for a common valve and some brief operating instructions, in order that I can test further. I was going to put it on Ebay as non working, but would like to give as much info as possible.

My Taylor 45B is much easier!

thanks

Trev
Old 10th May 2005, 8:49 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Mullard Valve Tester

Yes, it needs a card inserted for the spot to appear.

EL84 is card 635
EF86 is 561
6V6G is 270

The three relevant pages from the manual are attached. I think there is more abbreviated instructions on the test card index - I will check and scan it if there is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from instruct.pdf (243.0 KB, 191 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th May 2005, 9:20 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Here's the abridged instructions from the card index. Sorry for the faint scan but the original is rather dirty so I had to tweak the threshold to make it readable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard1.GIF
Views:	216
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	666  

Paul Stenning
Old 10th May 2005, 9:42 pm   #4
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Mullard Valve Tester

Hello there,
The Mullard valve tester has a safety switch built into the card reader which enables some contacts to close and the tester to operate only when a card is correctly inserted and seated.

If this safety switch was not present and a card was not inserted all of the contacts in the card reader matrix would close together causing many shorted turns on the mains transformer causing damage to it.

I had quite a few problems with mine when I bought it because the 6 pots under the front flap had been broken by someone putting too long screws to hold them in. Replacements cured the problem. I also replaced all of the old wax capacitors whilst I had it in bits.

Regards,
Christopher Capener
Old 10th May 2005, 10:24 pm   #5
Trev757
Banned

Paul

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply and for taking the time to provide the attchments. I will have a play over the next couple of days and report back. Maybe I'll end up selling a working valve tester!

Christopher

Thanks for your input. I removed all the panels and found the big microswitch you refer to. That is working fine. Should I find that the tester works when I follow Paul's advise or if I can get it going without too much effort, then I'll certainly do all the routine tasks asociated with any restoration - including sending the wax paper capacitors to that great capacitor graveyard in the sky (and maybe some electrolytics as well!).

regards

Trevor
Old 11th May 2005, 2:34 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

Before you test a valve you need to set the controls using the special calibration cards. These are labeled:

TEST MAINS
TEST HT
TEST REJECT
Old 11th May 2005, 3:59 pm   #7
Trev757
Banned

Following Paul's advise, I can now see a spot on the screen and adjust it's X position, focus and brilliance. The reject level and set zero controls do nothing and there is one labelled "don't touch" so I haven't touched! When testing a valve, heater volts and H.T can be measured at the socket. However, no matter where you put the test switch, or which button you press, the spot does not move on the screen. The test cards mentioned explain the one that was already in the machine when I got it. It is labelled mains and has just one hole in it. I will look for the others in the box, although I suspect these are for calibration purposes and I still should have seen the spot move when I tested a valve.

Oh dear, I was just going to sell this as a non worker; but I just can't resist having a dabble now. I should never have taken the bottom off and ventured inside in the first place!

Trev
Old 11th May 2005, 5:06 pm   #8
GMB
Dekatron

I have images of the test cards if you need them - I needed these to identify the cards in my set since their tops had broken off through much use!
Old 11th May 2005, 6:07 pm   #9
Trev757
Banned

GMB

Many thanks for your kind offer. The cards I have are pretty good, it's mainly the white lettering at the top that is disappearing. However, I think there may be a couple of broken ones in there. I'll report back.

Trev757
Old 11th May 2005, 8:11 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I reckon replacing the wax-paper caps will get the unit working. These units are more sensitive to leaky caps than the average radio, so it doesn't take much leakage to stop it working. Mine had had the caps replaced previously with those metal-cased ones that look rather like electrolytics, but I still had to change the lot before it would behave properly. I used the yellow 1000V polyprop ones.

Incidently copies of the manuals etc are on my Valve Data CD-ROM.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread